cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaknav
Level 4

Silent Install on Windows for Linux

Hello Guys,

I was able to do silent install on windows box providing the response file but my requirement is do the silent install for Linux sitting in Windows box. Is it clear? Its like installing the Linux setup from Windows instead of doing from Linux box.

Is there a way to specify the Platform in response file on which we want to install?

Thanks
Jak
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
ivenkata
Level 6

Hey Buddy,

Here are the steps you have to follow if you wanted to install the installer on a Linux platform using the Windows box.

Build the Installer in the silent mode by checking the "Silent" from the "Installer UI-->Look & Feel" and now build the installer for Linux.

Place the same in the Linux machine

Connect to the Same linux machine through "Telnet/Putty" from your Windows machine. Putty is a free ware which you can download from google.

Configure Putty with your Linux IP Address so that you will be connected to the Linux Box from your Windows

Now just install the installer created by you and it will be installed in the silent mode.
0 Kudos
ivenkata
Level 6

Select the "Silent" on "Installer UI-->Look & Feel" and then create a installer for the Linux.

Place the installer created by you in the Linux box.

Now connect to the Linux machine from Windows through "Telnet/Putty". Putty is a freeware which you can download.

Navigate to the location where you have placed the installer and try installing it.

This will install you the Installer on Linux machine through Windows Box.

This is otherwise called as Headless machine.
0 Kudos
shemareddy
Level 4

Select the "Silent" on "Installer UI-->Look & Feel" and then create a installer for the Linux.

Place the installer created by you in the Linux box.

Now connect to the Linux machine from Windows through "Telnet/Putty". Putty is a freeware which you can download.

Navigate to the location where you have placed the installer and try installing it.

This will install you the Installer on Linux machine through Windows Box.
0 Kudos
purcellk24
Level 7

That's a neat trick, running Linux applications from Windows.
The installer or any application that you execute, is run on the platform you are currently using. Log into the Linux box and execute the .bin (Linux/unix version) installer file.
0 Kudos
jaknav
Level 4

Hey Guys

Thanks for the reply.

I dont want to use Telnet/putty to login to any linux machine and install. All I want is run the Linux silent installation from Windows box providing the the hostname(Linux machine name) and platform(Linux) in the response file.

How should I include those two variables in the response file which is used for silent installation?

Thanks
Jak
0 Kudos
ivenkata
Level 6

Hi Jak,

The Response files of the IA is totally dependent on the platform on which your are building your installer. You will not be able to do a silent installation by just creating a response file for Linux on the Windows box.

the install project builds separate installers for the different build targets (platforms) they want to support. We don't build a single installer that works on Windows and Linux

Silent installers are just regular installers with the ability to be invoked silently (through a variety of methods). So to run an installer on a Linux system, you need to first get the unix-type installer (assuming your project is already building one) on to a Linux system. you then need to make sure you have got a response file. There are several ways to do this: clicking Always generate response files on the Project > Info task, invoking the installer with a -r argument. Once the reponse file is generated, it can also be tweaked to alter the properties there.

Then, however it is invoked--be it directly, telnet, putty, whatever--you just need to either use a properties file that specifies silent mode or use the -i silent switch. If the response file is in the same directory as the installer and uses the default naming conventions, it will be automatically picked up and used by the installer. If not, a user can specify the response file to use with a -f argument, which can be combined with the -i silent.

Please also open the IA help system, and click Key Concepts > Silent Installers you'll find the answers to some of these questions. There are also topics specificly discussing response files.

http://helpnet.acresso.com/Robo/BIN/Robo.dll?tpc=/robo/projects/installanywhere2009/Silent_Installers.htm

http://helpnet.acresso.com/Robo/BIN/Robo.dll?tpc=/robo/projects/installanywhere2009/about_response_files_and_silent_installers.htm

and

http://helpnet.acresso.com/Robo/BIN/Robo.dll?tpc=/robo/projects/installanywhere2009/generating_response_files.htm
0 Kudos