cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mitkatti
Level 3

Problem with Platform and architecture rule on speed folders task

Hi,

I am using Install SpeedFolder task. I will explain the problem with example.

Suppose i am using install SpeedFolder task to install a directory called lib64. This lib64 needs to be installed on all platforms except windows and only on 64-bit machines.

I have tagged 2 rules to the speedFolder:
1. Platform Rule: added Linux,AIX,HP-UX,Solaris
2.System Architecture Rule: added AMD-64bit,SPARC

For Linux32 the lib64 folder should not be installed as this is 32bit

But when i build this on Linux32 build machine, I get the error saying

The following resources are missing from the project:
d $PICK_BINARIES$/lib64/
The Resource manager was unable to locate all resources for this project.
The Resource Manger settings are: Check for missing resources, fail build if
resources are missing.
To change these settings, change the appropriate properties in
in the Designer's preferences.

Any idea why am i getting this error? Actually as I am using Linux32, it should skip executing lib64 and move ahead. I feel it is not honoring the rules!! Thanks in advance for your help
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(10) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

I think that it depends on how you build your setups: do you build on separate 32 bit and 64 machines?
0 Kudos
mitkatti
Level 3

Yes building on separate machines. Using Linux32, Linux64 machines and similarly for other unices.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

In that case set your settings from fail if a resource is missing to ignore, that way your build will continue.
0 Kudos
mitkatti
Level 3

Hi Thanks for that. Is there not anything else i can do other than selecting continuing on failing?? Because i feel that is a risk as in future we might not notice the failure even if missed some important component..
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Well the other option would be to include the 64 binary libraries (as far as I know, the conditions imposed on speedfolders are evaluated at install time not at build time, meaning that even if it's not supposed to install on that platform, IA wants to bundle the resource).
0 Kudos
mitkatti
Level 3

To be more specific, i will reframe my question:

I have a folder called InstallMe which has to be picked for installation. The contents of this folder
vary depending on the platform and architecture.

For example following are the contents of InstallMe folder under different platforms ...

Windows platform:
InstallMe
|__ Common
|__ WinOnly

Linux32 platform:
InstallMe
|__ Common
|__ CommonOnUnix
|__ lib32

Linux64 platform:
InstallMe
|__ Common
|__ CommonOnUnix
|__ lib32
|__ lib64

I want to create speedfolder for InstallMe and would not like to have continue even if failed to find a resource
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Well you really confused me here, as you say: "would not like to have continue even if failed to find a resource". From this I understand that if a resource is missing you won't like to continue, so this is exactly what it happens in your case. So I really don't see where the issue is.
0 Kudos
mitkatti
Level 3

Ya this is what is happening now. But what i had expected was as i was building for Linux32 and the folder lib64 is not present in the build output, i had expected it would continue as lib64 is not relevant to this platform build.

Probably your previous post gives a clear answer that, the conditions imposed on speedfolders are evaluated at install time not at build time, meaning that even if it's not supposed to install on that platform, IA wants to bundle the resource.

Ya this looks ok to me. But i am afraid the size of the installer might be huge as it will contain some of the resources that will not be installed on the target machine 🙂
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Open your project with the Advanced Designer, go to the Build tab (on the left), then to the Distribution tab and check the Optimize Installer Size by Platform, maybe this will help reducing the installer size.
0 Kudos
mitkatti
Level 3

Ya ok. Will try that out..

Thanks a lot for your help.
0 Kudos