cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zcox123
Level 2

PNG or ICO Files for LaunchAnywhere?

Our designer created some beautiful icons for our application as PNG images, and I have packaged them up into a single ICO file. However, InstallAnywhere 2008 forces me to use the outdated GIF file format for the LaunchAnywhere icons.

Saving the PNGs as GIFs make them look terrible; the icon is a circle and (I believe) because GIF doesn't handle transparency properly, there are "jaggies" all around the circle. When installed, our application looks inferior to other apps because our icons look horrible.

Is there any way to tell LaunchAnywhere to just use my existing ICO file instead of making me use low-quality GIFs?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Yves_Kreis
Level 7

Why don't you simply modify the images that are included in the LaunchAnywhere files?

Best Regards,
Yves
0 Kudos
collin
Level 2

I am also frustrated by the GIF requirement. Java is fully capable of handling PNG, jpeg, BMP and GIF (http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/javax/imageio/package-summary.html). In fact most operation on images are not dependent on the input file type. As a test I renamed a 16x16 RGB png file (test.png) to a gif (test.gif) and attempted to load it into InstallAnywhere. The result was successful. I obtained a 16x16 RGB color .ico file. This says to me that someone on the user interface side has implemented an unnecessary restriction. Does anyone else consider this a bug? Where do I file a bug report?
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

If you have a paid maintenance you should have access to the Macrovision support site where you can file bug reports. But I guess this isn't your case. I'm not sure if other Acresso Software employees besides Robert Dickau and some of the forum admins read this boards, and if they are likely to fill out a bug report for you (but I highly doubt it, never seen that done before here).

On the old http://community.zerog.com IA boards it was possible from a comment like yours, and at the time when ZeroG support engineers were actively participating in the forums, to have a bug / feature request entered, and if other people where interested in it, they would manifestate their interest by adding a comment to your post; if many people deemed one feature / bug to be of high interest, there was a chance they would take into account for implementation / fixing in a future release; nevertheless, this was rarely the case (and moreover the old boards are read-only now).
0 Kudos
collin
Level 2

Thanks pv7721,

Yes actually my company does have a paid license. I'm just the new guy using it and I have no idea who/where to go for help. Honestly what I consider a bug is that the system accepts "png" but does not let you select "png". GIF is a horrible image format by todays standards. 256 colors is really just not enough. Anyway thanks again,

Collin
0 Kudos