cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tdfunk
Level 2

Multiple erroneous overwrite confirmations for lax.jar

We recently enabled the "always confirm" option for existing files on the File Settings section of our InstallAnywhere installer configurations.

One of our installers creates three LaunchAnywhere executables. The installer writes a copy of lax.jar for each executable created.

When installing to a new directory, writing the second and third lax.jar files results in dialogs confirming with the user to overwrite lax.jar (see attached image). Choosing the "Yes to All" option suppresses the dialog for the last instance of lax.jar.

After writing the first lax.jar in an installation, subsequent lax.jars should either not be written or should be silently overwritten. Displaying these dialogs to confirm overwriting subsequent lax.jar files is erroneous.

If there is a work around, we'd love to hear about it.

However, we'd prefer to see this issue addressed with the next release of IA.

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
jerome_IA
Level 9

Some time ago I tried to have this lax.jar in some specific "lib" folder while the executable remains in e.g. "bin" folder but I was not able to addressed this (excepted by scripting which I didn't want).

The same applied to your issue as the lax.jar should be named differently if one already existed and classpath updated accordingly.

Having such lax.jar file overwritten on windows in situation where you have already started the previous executable will result in filling the PendingFileRenameOperations registry value. then after a reboot, the lax.jar will be deleted and all your executables will not run anymore.

So definitely, this should be fixed, I guess you might report the issue to support.

The best way will be to let us having control on location & name of this lax.jar file.

--Jerome
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Hello Jerome. Just a question: what would be the use case of having the lax.jar in a different path than the LaunchAnywheres using it?
0 Kudos
jerome_IA
Level 9

pv7721 wrote:
Hello Jerome. Just a question: what would be the use case of having the lax.jar in a different path than the LaunchAnywheres using it?

Simply that my use case was that I had a "bin" folder for many installation/post-configuration stuff which already contains 'too' many files (the stuff is mostly composed by ".bat" & ".exe" files). And I have a "lib" folder that contains libraries needed by those scripts for which end user don't care about.

But anyway what I really needed was a shortcut to this ".exe" to allow the "pin/unpin" action on windows 7 taskbar so I finally put the shortcut in my "bin" folder the the "exe" is just in some subfolder with its lax.jar.

--Jerome
0 Kudos