cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PassinThru
Level 3

Japanese License in License Panel

Hi -

I'm trying to display a Japanese version of our product license agreement during the install in the license agreement panel. I've succeeded in getting it to display on Japanese installs on both Windows and Linux. On Linux, it looks great. On Windows, it does not display correctly at all.

The file is a UTF-8 file, but the Windows panel doesn't recognize it as such. The Linux panel shows it fine.

How do I get InstallAnywhere on Windows to display the file correctly?

- Scott
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(10) Replies
Masudkhan
Level 5

If I am not wrong, you have to change your windows system locale to Japanese.
0 Kudos
PassinThru
Level 3

I agree, and our machines are set to the Japanese locale. But the problem persists.
0 Kudos
Masudkhan
Level 5

Could you please post a snap shot of the screen?
0 Kudos
PassinThru
Level 3

Sure. Here's the installer running on Linux:

And here's how it looks on Windows 7:

The display on Windows is identical to what I see when I type it out on Windows, i.e., the text is treated as ANSI. But the IA docs say files are treated as UTF-8 by default. I had hoped that would mean it would display correctly, but clearly not.

- Scott
0 Kudos
Masudkhan
Level 5

Yes there seems to be a difference in chars displayed.
I think it is some thing to do with the OS rather than IA.
I'm sorry, i have run out of ideas.
My sincere apologies for not being of any help to you.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Maybe that was an issue with IA 2011. Have you tried to rebuild your installer with IA 2012, in order to see if you reproduce the issue?
0 Kudos
PassinThru
Level 3

pv7721 wrote:
Maybe that was an issue with IA 2011. Have you tried to rebuild your installer with IA 2012, in order to see if you reproduce the issue?

No, not yet. We'll be moving to 2012 at the end of the month, and I'll try it again with that. Thanks for the suggestion.
0 Kudos
jerome_IA
Level 9

Hi,

I'm having the exact same issue using InstallAnywhere 2013 version.
Works well on Linux but not on Windows.

Did you (or anyone else) got a solution for this issue?

--Jerome
0 Kudos
jerome_IA
Level 9

Ok, running some more tests, it looks like it works well with HTML files but not with TEXT files.

So I'll use html license agreements
0 Kudos
jerome_IA
Level 9

Support points me to this link: http://flexerasoftware.force.com/articles/en_US/PROBLEM/Q202182

Workaround

The issue can be worked around in one of two ways:

1. The localized file can be saved in ANSI encoding. Note that the localized file must be saved on a machine matching whose local matches the local of the file; otherwise, corruption of the file may result.

2. If the localized file is UTF-8 encoded, the Java System Property file.encoding can be set to UTF-8. This property can be set by specifying the following value under project->JVM Settings->Installer Settings (in InstallAnywhere 2011).

-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8

As an alternative, the following environment variable can be set prior to launching the installer:

_JAVA_OPTIONS=-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8

--Jerome
0 Kudos