cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nosrednayduj
Level 7

Installer on Windows popping up behind other windows

I've noticed this both with IA and ISMP, but also occasionally with other unrelated products. Sometimes when you launch a program from windows explorer, the program comes up with its window BEHIND the explorer window. What really happens is the splash screen is fine, we see it, and then the regular installer shows up behind. This makes it hard to find and makes the customer think the installer is broken.

Is there some custom action to bring the installer window to the forefront? I could have that be my first action.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

On what type of Windows does this happen (XP, Vista, other?) Does this happen on only one flavour or on more than one?
0 Kudos
nosrednayduj
Level 7

I have seen it on Win 2003 and XP. Not sure about any others.
0 Kudos
nosrednayduj
Level 7

So I tried something. I made my own introduction-like panel, with a ((GUIAccess)customCodePanelProxy.getService(GUIAccess.class)).getFrame().toFront() at the end of initialization(). It didn't work. Splash screen is brought to front, but if I then activate another window, my intro panel doesn't show up, and its icon doesn't blink orange either. It would be OK with me to have the task bar icon blink. I just want something to let the user know that the window's ready for them! I don't know enough about java UI programming to know what to do, and whether I could even do it with a custom code panel.
0 Kudos
sturge
Level 6

I'm noticing this as well with IA 2010 on Windows in VM images.
0 Kudos