cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vikram_Gosain
Level 6

Installer not working on windows machine which doesnt have JAVA

Hi All
My "With JVM" installer is not working on machines which doesn't have any JAVA installed on their system.I get a LaunchAnywhere Error which says that..

"Could not find a valid Java virtual machine to load.You may need to reinstall a supported Java virtual machine."

I am bundling JRE1.6.0_12 with my installers.

Can anyone please help.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

In this case I suggest you look at the condition for the use of the Java you've bundled, most likely it doesn't match the version you bundled (and would explain why your installer works on machines that already have a JVM installed, your installer uses those versions instead of the version you bundled).
0 Kudos
Vikram_Gosain
Level 6

pv7721 wrote:
In this case I suggest you look at the condition for the use of the Java you've bundled, most likely it doesn't match the version you bundled (and would explain why your installer works on machines that already have a JVM installed, your installer uses those versions instead of the version you bundled).

Well it worked.VM packed was not proper.Thanks alot Vlad.

-Vikram
0 Kudos
praveenthakur5
Level 3

Is there any way I can explicitely specify a new jre directory path to installer, if bundled vm pack is not proper?
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

You choose for the installer the JVM it will run against. If, for instance, you set it to ALL, it'll try any available JVM if the one bundled fails... but then again I don't think it looks too good for an end-user if it downloads a big installer which has a bundled JVM only to find out they will need to download and install a JVM in order to install your setup (assuming the worse possible scenario: the bundled JVM won't work and no JVM is installed on the target machine).
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Vlad,

How can I use a custom message instead of "Could not find a valid Java virtual machine to load. You may need to reinstall a supported Java virtual machine."??

Is there a way to show a custom message in the Installer Launcher screen if the required JVM is not present in the system??

The reason for this is because we want to display a message telling the user what JVM version needs to install, as well offer a link to download it, that will be much better than the horrible "LaunchAnywhere Error" dialog, or Bundling a JVM that increases around 30 mb the installer (the non-installer files are only 3 mb, so including JVM is not a good deal).

I tried several things like including lax.nl.message.vm.not.loaded= var into Project>Config>Additiona Arguments, as well extracting the compiled installer and modifying /installer/windows/installer.lax file with no luck.

Thanks
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

I think this is a built-in message and might not be changed. Again, the proper solution to this problem is to bundle the exact VM version your application needs, thus giving the end-user the smoothest possible installation process.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Ok, then I'll try to create a custom (reduced) VM to include it in our installers.
Thanks.
0 Kudos