cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ridch01
Level 5

Build fails when "with VM" is selected

I am using InstallAnywhere 2008 Enterprise Edition, build 3418 (running on a Windows 2003 x86 32bit system). I'm having a problem building any project that has the "with VM" option selected.

The error I get is:
Build failure.
Reason: null (java.lang.RuntimeException)

By accident, I discovered I can build the same projects (including very simple ones) if I use the Web install or "without VM" selected.

I've tried to download additional VM's from Macrovisions web site and use those. I get the same exception.

Any advice is appreciated.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
ridch01
Level 5

A little more information: I cannot build either the Web install or the CD-ROM Install image if I choose to have a VM bundled with my installer. I believe this is a bug with IA. I guess I will have to open a support issue if I don't find a way to get it to work.
0 Kudos
ridch01
Level 5

More information: I ran the install build from the command line using build.exe.

I get an exception stating that it can't find msvcrt.dll in c:\program files\macrovision\installanywhere 2008 enterprise\resource\nativetools\windows.

Does anyone know which version of the msvcrt.dll it is expecting? I have VS2005 on the same box. I also have access to VS2003.

Did I miss something when I installed the product? I likely would have picked the "typical" install set.
0 Kudos
ridch01
Level 5

My final follow up - hopefully this saves someone some time down the road. I copied mscvrt.dll version 7.0.3790.1830 to the directory. This took care of the problem. I can now build With or Without JVM.
0 Kudos
Yves_Kreis
Level 7

I checked my directory. I have version 6.1.8637.0 of msvcrt.dll inside that directory.

Best Regards,
Yves
0 Kudos
purcellk24
Level 7

I have this version too....
0 Kudos
Leland
Level 3

Hi,

I ran into the 'null' Java error described in these posts (after having just installed IA 2008). Where can I get a copy of the mscvrt/msvcrt.dll file?

Thanks much.

Leland
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

The file is located here: c:\Program Files\InstallAnywhere 8.0.1 Enterprise\resource\nativetools\windows\msvcrt.dll I too have the same version as other people indicated. However, on my Windows XP SP 2, the file is also located here: c:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcrt.dll and SP 2 updates it to version: 7.0.2600.2180. So I guess that you copy to the IA folder that should to the trick.
0 Kudos