cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WilMoe
Level 3

When license server will free license again after lost contact to client?

Where to specify after which period of lost contact to client (e.g. Sleep), the license server will free license again?

0 Kudos
(6) Replies
aparashar1
Flexera Alumni

@WilMoe , Can I get a confirmation if by 'sleep' your use case basically included the situations when client is no more sync with license Server (i.e. not connected via web or unable to connect)?

If yes, then you could do that through the options file attribute "TIMEOUTALL/TIMEOUT". You may also want to look into the possibility of the usages of 'LM_A_TCP_TIMEOUT' from the client application end.

Let me know what sounds feasible to you and I can share further details or point you to the section of documentation that may help.

(If my response assists with your questions , then please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" or 'Kudos' so that it help others.)
0 Kudos

Hi,

yes, as client will represent the application which is under license protection, "situations when client is no more sync with license Server (i.e. not connected via web or unable to connect)" would reflect my reported scenario.

A)

If this could be done by using the options file (all license server admin can do) how the provider of the license protected client application can be sure that the license is not freed by the server before client rejected further application usage?

B)

The "FlexNet Publisher - License Administration Guide" will note among TIMEOUT: "The software publisher must have enabled this feature in the FlexEnabled application for it to work".

Will this to be managed already by 'LM_A_TCP_TIMEOUT' or is there any additional setting required?

Regards,
Wilfried

0 Kudos

Hi,

when could you follow up this issue?

Regards,
Wilfried

0 Kudos
MikeSpragg
Level 3

Will be after approx 1 hour. There's a known issue with FlexLM losing the heartbeat and then losing count of the license. 

0 Kudos

Thanks MikeSpragg for mentioning this issue. It could be the explanation to reported issue by one of our customers.

But only to be sure how we / our customers can use "TIMEOUTALL/TIMEOUT" to free consumed licenses again:
Is it that 'LM_A_TCP_TIMEOUT' from the client side will influence min./max. value of 'TIMEOUT' on server side?
As I would expect that freeing a license on server side for other clients is not wanted as long as the clients still can use checked out license, correct?

0 Kudos

I can tell you whatever you use for TIMEOUT/TIMEOUTALL in the options file on the server will make no difference - went down that rabbit hole for a while. The LM_A_TCP_TIMEOUT goes on the server as a system env var.  I set mine to 180 and it seems to have worked. Even if the license times out - it'll be immediately consumed again by the client if the client is still active (correct behaviour). However, if heartbeat is lost and this timer expires - it's released.

0 Kudos