cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjurica
Level 3

What is the difference between VENDOR and DAEMON lines in a license file?

Jump to solution

Hello,

I cannot find the syntax of the DAEMON line in the documentation files of the last few FlexNet Publisher versions. There are only short mentions related to lmutil lmlicvalidator command that is not enough. Is the DAEMON line the same as the VENDOR line?

0 Kudos
(1) Solution

Yes, the word "DAEMON" can be replaced with "VENDOR".

View solution in original post

(5) Replies
jyadav
Flexera Alumni

Hi @jjurica ,

Yes ,Vendor daemon is a single term . People often use them interchangeably. The syntax is  as below

VENDOR vendor [vendor_daemon_path] [[OPTIONS=]options_file_path] [[PORT=]port]

0 Kudos

I am preparing now an Ansible role to manage all our company FlexLM license servers automatically. Does it mean that I can replace all DAEMON lines that were originally placed by license vendors with VENDOR lines without any worries?

I am sorry for the additional question but I need to be sure that our solution is good. 🙂

0 Kudos

Hi @jjurica  ,

Can you please let me know what changes you would like to do with the help of an example so that I can assist better

0 Kudos

Okay. We are a customer of several companies that use FlexLM for the license protection of their products. From time to time we need to replace old license files where we need to modify a few parts in the SERVER and VENDOR lines first. Here are two examples of the license files:

#
# Vendor's comments...
#

SERVER <server_name> xxxxxxxxxxxx <port_number>
VENDOR osslmgr <path_to_osslmgr>
USE_SERVER

#
# FEATURE section...
#
#
# Vendor's comments.
#

SERVER put_server_name_here xxxxxxxxxxxx 1717
DAEMON mgcld path_to_mgcld

#
# FEATURE section.
#

We change there the server nameserver port and path to the vendor's binary. And because we run more and more license servers I am working on an automated way of (not only) replacing this information.

My question should be simple. Can I replace the line that starts with the word DAEMON in the second example with VENDOR or is there any significant difference between these two lines?

0 Kudos

Yes, the word "DAEMON" can be replaced with "VENDOR".