Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
christian_lemm
Level 2 Flexeran
Level 2 Flexeran

Supported virtual environments

Jump to solution

Hi, in "FlexNet Publisher 2022 R1 (11.19.0) Programming Reference for License File–Based Licensing", chapter 22 "Virtualization", there is stated:

"""
Virtualization features enable you to restrict licensing to virtual environments or to physical machines.
(Virtualization-based restrictions are ignored on unsupported virtual environments.)
"""

What are unsupported virtual environments?

It's also noted somewhere, that supported "guest" operating systems are linux and windows - do you mean that by "supported virtual environment"?

Or, do you rather mean: one of amazon cloud, google cloud or microsoft?  Are there more?

The basic question is: how can I (as a vendor) reliably know, which physical or virtual environment the customer uses?

If I understand right, there are some "trustworthy" cloud providers like amazon, and with a special hostid for an amazon cloud guest, I am as secure as if being on a physical machine.  But theoretically, with a virtual machine, you may manipulate the MAC id in any way, and I can't decide only by the MAC id from the customer, whether it is a physical or a virtual machine, correct?

What do you recommend, what should I ask the customer to send me, so that I can decide, whether he uses a physical system, a "good" cloud environment or a "bad" environment?

Best regards, Frank

0 Kudos
(1) Solution
jyadav
Flexera Alumni

Hi @christian_lemm   ,I would request you to go through the release notes of 11.19 which will give you a list of supported physical and virtual environment .

For your convenience , I am pasting below the supported virtual environment  . Anything which is not part of this list are unsupported. Supported hostids in guest operating systems are ETHER (server and client) and, for all hypervisors other than Hyper-V, VM_UUID (server only). See the white paper, “Understanding Virtualization Features in FlexNet Publisher”, for more information.

All your queries related to manipulation of the MAC id will be answered in the whitepaper ,“Understanding Virtualization Features in FlexNet Publisher”, .

View solution in original post

(2) Replies
jyadav
Flexera Alumni

Hi @christian_lemm   ,I would request you to go through the release notes of 11.19 which will give you a list of supported physical and virtual environment .

For your convenience , I am pasting below the supported virtual environment  . Anything which is not part of this list are unsupported. Supported hostids in guest operating systems are ETHER (server and client) and, for all hypervisors other than Hyper-V, VM_UUID (server only). See the white paper, “Understanding Virtualization Features in FlexNet Publisher”, for more information.

All your queries related to manipulation of the MAC id will be answered in the whitepaper ,“Understanding Virtualization Features in FlexNet Publisher”, .

Thanks jyadav for your answer!  I understand, what are the supported environments.

There are some other questions, but I will open separate posts for that, mainly to reliably detect, whether a customer does *not* use a supported environment.

0 Kudos