cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
christian_lemm
Level 2 Flexeran
Level 2 Flexeran

How to detect a not supported virtual environment?

Jump to solution

Our standard procedure for delivering license keys to customers is, to first ask the customer for the standard host id, generated by lmhostid, which is the ETHER host id.

What do you recommend to detect, whether a customer does not use a supported virtual environment?  If I understand correctly, theoretically *any* MAC id may be generated in a virtual environment, so if I have only the host id, I can't distinguish this from a physical machine.  Am I right?

0 Kudos
(1) Solution
jyadav
Flexera Alumni

Hi @christian_lemm  ,

We do not provide any official guidelines on how to check if someone is using an unsupported Virtual environment , you would have to ask your customer  which Environment they are using and compare it with the supported ones mentioned in the release notes to eradicate the possibility of using an unsupported Environment.

If you run the command "./lmhostid -ptype VM -uuid" , you will be able to fetch the VM_UUID of the virtual machine . If you get a valid output of this command then you can conclude it is an Virtual environment  . A physical machine will provide the below output

lmhostid - Copyright (c) 1989-2021 Flexera. All Rights Reserved.
The FlexNet host ID of this machine is ""
lmhostid: VM attributes not available on physical machine. (-211,14702)

Whereas a virtual environment will provide an Id example :VM_UUID=DF440538-8EB7-
11DC-BBDA-FE7FE89E000F

Note :Obtaining this hostid requires that the FlexNet Licensing Service be installed.

Hope I have answered your query !!

View solution in original post

(2) Replies
jyadav
Flexera Alumni

Hi @christian_lemm  ,

We do not provide any official guidelines on how to check if someone is using an unsupported Virtual environment , you would have to ask your customer  which Environment they are using and compare it with the supported ones mentioned in the release notes to eradicate the possibility of using an unsupported Environment.

If you run the command "./lmhostid -ptype VM -uuid" , you will be able to fetch the VM_UUID of the virtual machine . If you get a valid output of this command then you can conclude it is an Virtual environment  . A physical machine will provide the below output

lmhostid - Copyright (c) 1989-2021 Flexera. All Rights Reserved.
The FlexNet host ID of this machine is ""
lmhostid: VM attributes not available on physical machine. (-211,14702)

Whereas a virtual environment will provide an Id example :VM_UUID=DF440538-8EB7-
11DC-BBDA-FE7FE89E000F

Note :Obtaining this hostid requires that the FlexNet Licensing Service be installed.

Hope I have answered your query !!

Thank you, jyadav!

0 Kudos