cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryce_K
Level 3

setup.exe not enough.. duhh

I am a little confused here…. I have created a new software release with developer 8.0. (Installscript) I have posted the files on my web server and I have purchased Installshield Update Service. Everything works great BUT the user only ends up downloading the setup.exe… Obviously a few more files are needed… How can this be an update? I am currently forced to zip up the DATA1.cab, XYZ.msi and the setup.exe, the user then has to unzip and the Major update works great…. What I am missing here??? I have tried to build a compressed and uncompressed release….
Ideas?
Thanks
~Bryce
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Chandima
Level 7

When you use a compressed build, doesn't it create a single setup.exe file? If so the Update service should be able to download and install that file correctly. You also have the option of using something like Pakcage For The Web (PFTW) to wrap your install in to a self-extracting exe file that launches setup.exe after unpacking it's contents.

What type of media (CDROM, Web, Network Image, etc) are you building in Developer? Is it by any chance a Web type media?
0 Kudos
Bryce_K
Level 3

I am using CD but I will try the web wrap... thanks for the tip.. !
0 Kudos
Chandima
Level 7

Not a problem. Make SURE that you DE-SELECT the checkbox (in PFTW) that says something like "Delete files once extraction is complete". Otherwise PFTW will extract all the files and then complain about not being able to find setup.exe (because it got deleted).
0 Kudos