cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pmcclosk
Level 3

Why? The 5.0 Update Manager is useless with IE7.

Yesterday I found that IE7, at least RC1, renders the Update Manager version 5.0 useless. Sure we can upgrade to FlexNet Connect 6, but how will our users update with a broken interface? I've had a night to think about this, and I think that us having to spend time and money to update the Update Service with an outside download or a cd update is a ridiculous workaround. As it always seems to be the case, we get the short-end of the stick with the Update Service. Not only does it look like we put broken software on our user's machines, but now we have to chance getting updates through some other medium just so users can use the Update Service which is supposed to alleviate our application updating problems. This seems totally unacceptable and ridiculous for Macrovision not to handle themselves as it's their product, not ours, that is causing this issue. Shouldn't you update your own update service before everyone upgrades to IE7 instead of letting your customers face the blame and headaches? There has to be a better update solution out there if this is the way we can expect to be treated. Given the way the Update Service has upgraded itself on client machines in the past, not smoothly if at all, I'm really worried that an outside update will even fix the issue despite what the documentation says. I hate feeling like I'm going to get fired over a product that supposedly makes my life easier as an installation developer.
0 Kudos
(32) Replies
KellyF
Level 9

I'm disappointed to read your comments, especially since I know the engineer who was tasked with tracking IE7 from its betas and who had worked around things like IE's broken iFrames.... but I digress... Could you PM me the SR # you received from the support folks? I'd like to check in on what the error actually is and whether they reproduced it.

Thanks,
Kelly
0 Kudos
hieu_nguyen
Level 3

I got same problem w/ IS 12, & IE 7. Please let me know how I can update the Update Manager.
0 Kudos
pmcclosk
Level 3

hieu.nguyen,

The Update Manager interface is still broken when launched from the Control Panel. Purging our server's cache now allows the Update Manager to display and function when launched from our application. I'm not sure what was going on prior to doing this. The fact still remains that the FlexNet connect 6 merge module will have to be included in future patches. The user will first have to download the update, close ISUS, and then apply the update. I've been wanting to test this out, but I can't even install the FlexNet Connect 6 SDK.

Good luck.
0 Kudos
hieu_nguyen
Level 3

but how do I purge server cache? thanks.
0 Kudos
KellyF
Level 9

Hi hieu.nguyen,

The cache is purged nightly on the notification servers, but if you want to trigger it manually, just edit your update/message (say add a . or something to your internal comments) and it'll then call out and purge the cache.

Regards,
Kelly
0 Kudos
Saphirex
Level 3

As an enduser I have been google-ing to death to find out why? the Macrovision Installshield Program Update Manager that was installed by WinDVD8 and Nuance's ScanSoft PDF Converter Professional 4 no longer displayed properly as well as simply no longer worked after updating to IE7 Final! Now it appears that there might be some patch to d/l and install but what patch ?

My email's to Intervideo ie: WinDVD8 as well as to Nuance's PDF Converter Pro 4 have not been answered and now it would appear that there is a serious problem that IE7 has with the Installshield Program Update/Manager.

Any news for us "kept in the dark" endusers ?

Thanks

SaphireX
0 Kudos
KellyF
Level 9

Any news for us "kept in the dark" endusers ?

I don't know so much about users being kept in the dark, though I know all too well about companies not responding to inquiries... I'll send a note to the PM to see if we (MVSN) can't send a note to Nuance & WinDVD regarding IE7.

I did search the support KBs and didn't see an item up there, so I'll hit our primary support folks about the info we're passing on about it.

Regards,
Kelly
0 Kudos
Saphirex
Level 3

Thanks so much for the speedy reply 🙂

This is what I am seeing as far as what WinDVD8 (the new one) shows for when I click on the Online Update

and this is what shows on my screen when I select the Program Updates from the top of the start menu the actual Program Update Manager.

So with the gui/screen basically unfinished or cropped so severely it is impossible to do anything with the Program Manager since the buttons are cut-off or simply do not display.

At first I chalked it up to maybe a corrupt install of WinDVD8 since beforehand the Installshield Program Updater and Manager application worked the way it was supposed to with the PDF Converter Pro 4 installed. Then I remembered that I had updated to IE7 Final and never checked to see if it might have broke anything before installing the latest WinDVD8.

So I decided to wipe my C drive which is a RAID-0 Array and do a fresh install of XP w/SP2 and after XP was fully updated to include IE7 which is now listed as a critical update...started re-installing my software and what do you know the same gui incomplete display re-appeared. I have an AMD64 system and also have a Nvidia 6800GT AGP card using the latest WHQL Forceware. So I know that it's not my display hardware. And every other program gui as well as video displays properly....

Is there some update that you can point me to to experiment installing that might fix this?

Thanks for your time

Saphire
0 Kudos
KellyF
Level 9

Saphirex wrote:
Thanks so much for the speedy reply 🙂

Well, we try.

Saphirex wrote:

This is what I am seeing as far as what WinDVD8 (the new one) shows for when I click on the Online Update

Hmm... for that one, InterVideo will have to be contacted. They just need to associate the version with their product GUID. Unfortunately, nothing I can help with there.

Saphirex wrote:

and this is what shows on my screen when I select the Program Updates from the top of the start menu the actual Program Update Manager.

For this, there is something you can do. But only do it if you feel confident in editing some files and the javascript within.... and be sure to back up the file beforehand, I'm sure we've all had occasions when we've edited a little something without having a proper backup.

In the um.htm file's "startChecking()" javascript method... add the following line at the start of the method.
document.all.mainframe.height = 600;

Regards,
Kelly

PS. This is truly something not coming from my company, but just from me. So if you do edit the file, please have a backup you can toss back into place.
0 Kudos
Saphirex
Level 3

Hi Kelly

Thanks again for taking an interest. I just have one question before I mod the script. Should I insert that line after line 130 or line 131?

Thanks

Saphire

0 Kudos
KellyF
Level 9

Hello Saphire,

The new line would be inserted at #132, such as:
function startChecking()
{
document.all.mainframe.height = 600;

Regards,
Kelly
0 Kudos
Saphirex
Level 3

Hi Kelly

Many Thanks for taking the time and telling me the proper line to insert...
It WORKS!@!

At the moment I have un-installed the Nuance Software so only the WinDVD8 displays---but as you can SEE from the screen caps it has resolved all of the issues I was having. Everything displays properly and the buttons/options work

Perhaps this "fix" might be incorporated into the various software vendors installers to rectify the problem with IE7

Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving to you 🙂

Saphire

0 Kudos
Saphirex
Level 3

0 Kudos
KellyF
Level 9

Good to hear that it's resolved your issue and anyone in the near future can see this if they're using a product also affected. It's one of the primary reasons for the community.

It's a bit more complex when we're packaging things for our customers, but I do know that things are moving along there.

Regards,
Kelly

Saphirex wrote:
Hi Kelly

Many Thanks for taking the time and telling me the proper line to insert...
It WORKS!@!

Perhaps this "fix" might be incorporated into the various software vendors installers to rectify the problem with IE7
0 Kudos
pmcclosk
Level 3

I'm glad to see that there is an answer to this problem. I have an open support incident regarding this issue. This information should have been shared with me, even if it requires a disclaimer.
0 Kudos
KellyF
Level 9

pmcclosk,

I posted the item after speaking with a fellow engineer about it. That was even before the ball started rolling on the communications with customers. I'll check again on the customer notification and "official" patch once I've returned from holiday.

My apologies about not hearing through it first via the support folks, but I felt it best to get the info out there even though it's outside the normal channels.

Regards,
Kelly

pmcclosk wrote:
I'm glad to see that there is an answer to this problem. I have an open support incident regarding this issue. This information should have been shared with me, even if it requires a disclaimer.
0 Kudos
Coconuts
Level 3

We purchased the Macrovision Hosted FLEXnet Connect since the last post in this thread.

Today we experienced the Update Manager partial screen issue that, per the thread, may be solved with some code at "Line 132", etc.

Just to clarify, can that change be made to my InstallShield-12 suite and then compiled into all releases ... or do the end users need to do the mod to their end machines ?

Also, is there information on a formal Macrovision patch to IS-12 to fix this ?
0 Kudos
ncaron
Level 3

Is there another solution to this other than asking all my customers to edit the script portion of the HTML file?
0 Kudos
KellyF
Level 9

Hello ncaron,

Yes, there is something being worked on internally which will not involve end users modifying files upon their machines. I had only posted that to assist those individuals who absolutely could not wait.

I anticipate the update will be announced "really soon now". However, I cannot comment any more on it. Believe me, we know it's a hot-topic and people really want it now.

Regards,
Kelly

ncaron wrote:
Is there another solution to this other than asking all my customers to edit the script portion of the HTML file?
0 Kudos
Coconuts
Level 3

Kelly -

Thanks. As developers we all understand the issues.

Cheers
0 Kudos