cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ambark
Level 3

Feature Transfer Error when update service is included

We recently bought the "Update Service" from Macrovision and I included it in my InstallScript based project. While my product's installer works fine and installs the update service on a clean system, it does not work when used to upgrade an older version of our product. I get the following "Feature Transfer Error":

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feature Tranfer Error
Feature: Update Agent
Component: Web Agent - Reg
File: \
Error: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Note that both the clean install and the upgrade work fine if the update service is not included.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks

-Ambar
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
KellyF
Level 9

I'm not particularly well-versed in the merge module component, but have you checked out the support KnowledgeBase to see if it's mentioned there? (http://support.installshield.com/default.asp choose to search "FLEXnet Connect" )

Also, for the type of message you indicate, have you contacted the support folks? They may be able to help you out relatively quickly.

Regards,
Kelly
0 Kudos
ambark
Level 3

Kelly,

I have searched the knowledgebase and the forums for this error and I did find a couple of postings but no solutions.

As for technical support, I have sent them the deatils on our purchase yesterday to get a eSupport account but haven't heard back yet.

-Ambar
0 Kudos
JShukla
Level 2

Ambar,

We had the same problem: FeatureMoveData would fail if our Setup program had the Update Service enabled. Our Setup program is a pure installscript procedural program, not an event based one. The suggestion from Macrovision support was to convert to event driven script.

Here is a workaround you could try. It worked for us:
1. Disable Update Service from the InstallShield IDE for your setup program. 2. Create an empty Setup program (event driven installscript) that has the service enabled. This setup wouldnt install any files or make registry entries.
3. From your setup program, launch this new setup program to install the update service on the target machine
4. Modify your setup program to register your product code with the agent on the target machine.

Hope that works for you
-Jayesh
0 Kudos
ambark
Level 3

Jayesh,

Thanks for your suggestion. What version of InstallSheiled were you using when you encountered this problem?

-Ambar
0 Kudos
JShukla
Level 2

InstallShield 12
0 Kudos