cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NealC804
Level 8

What is the refresh from changing Active to Inactive

I changed a message from Active to Inactive. Yet testing minutes upon minutes after the change the update is still being pulled down. What is the threshold of when changes are committed and can be safely assumed in the new status?
0 Kudos
(12) Replies
NealC804
Level 8

It is now TWO hours since I changed a MESSAGE and a SOFTWARE UPDATE from Active to Inactive and it is still appearing as an available update!

Folks, this is unacceptable! When something is changes from active to inactive it MUST BE IMMEDIATE!!! If something "bad" is being sent out and it must be stopped/recalled, I need to know that setting to inactive immediately halts future calls of this update!

This is a CRITICAL issue requiring IMMEDIATE attention please!
0 Kudos
KellyF
Level 9

Neal,

That is disturbing. Could you please PM me the Service Request number you received from our support folks? I'll check into that request to see what they've discovered. I was unable to reproduce it on my local dev box, though I'll be the first to admit that my environment is in a constant state of flux and doesn't always track what my fellow devs have for the notification server side.

KellyF
0 Kudos
NealC804
Level 8

There is no support request number. I'm pointing out that when I moved an item from active to inactive, then ran tests on a new build of my software two hours later, the update still showed available. Run with that...
0 Kudos
Brad_Peterson
Level 7

Neal, I ran into this exact same problem you ran into. It definitely was pulling down inactive updates. I sent a private message to KellyF about it. For now, I think what fixed my problem was going into the inactive update and modifying a few settings, then resaving it.
0 Kudos
NealC804
Level 8

The only way I can rest assured an update is inactive is to delete or relocate the referenced file. The problem really becomes an issue when you set a INACTIVE update/message to ACTIVE, you now have a problem as you can't ensure it is active! I've tried dirtying things and then saving, hoping that would do it.

There is a latency in the system, no doubt about it. Such as the reports/stats. My concern is this latency is across the board whereas when an update status is changed, it must be IMMEDIATE!
0 Kudos
mhlavinka
Level 4

I'm having the same problem with TEST mode updates, yet I've NEVER made the update an ACTIVE update. It is always been in TEST mode and yet some of my customers (~20%) are seeing it.

They must have a serious problem here. I can reproduce it as well on an external system about 20% of the time.

Michael
0 Kudos
rsknowles
Level 4

I seem to be experiencing a similar problem and have contacted InstallShield technical support. I have changed an update from TEST to ACTIVE and my clients are unable to detect the available update.

Here are the steps I used to duplicate/troubleshoot this issue.

The update in question is configured via the Update Service with the following settings:
Conditions: No
Expressions: No
Authentication: None
Update Start Date: 04/08/2005
Update End Date: Never
Update Visibility: 100 %
What is the status for the update?: Active

I execute the following tests on a completely clean, new install of Windows XP Professional:

1) Login to the local machine as Administrator and install my application
2) Execute my application -- NO UPDATE DETECTED
3) Execute agent.exe with appropriate switches -- NO UPDATE DETECTED
4) Install UpdateSDK (reboot machine as prompted)
5) Login to the local machine as Administrator
6) Execute my application -- NO UPDATE DETECTED
7) Execute agent.exe with appropriate switches -- NO UPDATE DETECTED
😎 Set the appropriate test mode in UpdateSDK
9) Execute my application -- UPDATE DETECTED
10) Execute agent.exe with appropriate switches -- UPDATE DETECTED

The status of the update was changed from TEST to ACTIVE 1.5 hours previous to this test.
0 Kudos
NealC804
Level 8

This issue is CRITICAL and must be fixed immediately.

Noel, what's your response please?
0 Kudos
KellyF
Level 9

rsknowles wrote:
I seem to be experiencing a similar problem and have contacted InstallShield technical support. I have changed an update from TEST to ACTIVE and my clients are unable to detect the available update.

rsknowles,
Thanks for contacting support about it. Could you PM me your Service Request # so I can follow up with the support engineer?

Thanks,
KellyF
0 Kudos
rsknowles
Level 4

For those following this thead, my issue has been identified. Further testing revealed that I was experiencing sporadic detection of my update. About 3 hours after switching the status from TEST to ACTIVE a single machine would only detect the ACTIVE update about 5 out of 10 times. The update detection attempts were made using Agent.exe from the command line thus ensuring any potential error in my code would not be a factor. Luckily, InstallShield was also able to reproduce this sporadic detection.

They have determined this is an issue on their end and have assigned a work order: 1-16NMTB

48 hours after changing the status of the update all clients seem to be able to detect the update successfully.
0 Kudos
neildavidson
Level 6

Any news on this getting fixed?
0 Kudos
rsknowles
Level 4

All I have is:
Currently there is no workaround for this issue. Our Development team is investigating this issue, but at this moment, there is no estimated time frame for when this issue will be fixed.
0 Kudos