cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NealC804
Level 8

Versions: Major.Minor. REVISION

I have an application where I'm running out of "version room" so I am using 1.9.5, next up is 1.9.6, then 1.9.7. The ISUS seems to only want Major.Minor. How would I use a Revision number for my app?

Thanks
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

You could use two digit versions (i.e. 1.96, 1.97, etc.) or a custom ISUS version like documented in the ISUS SDK Help topic "Add the Update Service Agent to the Installation Setup" and excerpted here:

"If you need to use the full version string, you can override this default version string by setting the Update Service's version property, in the Update Service Property sheet's Use Default Product Version page, equal to the desired version string."
0 Kudos
NealC804
Level 8

Thanks, I like your first option, good idea!
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

OK, I am still having difficulty getting this through my thick cranium! 😞

BACKGROUND:

In Express 5.0SP2 I have created an installer for a product with the version number of 1.3.3 set in Step 1:General Information:Product Properties:Product Version.

On the Update Service web page I have set the product version at 1.3.3

PROBLEM:

When I check for an update it comes back with "The Update Service does not recognize this product." If I change the version number on the Update Service website to 1.3 and check for an update everything works as expected.

This sounds as if Express is defaulting to the major.minor fields. The help library in Express says, "If you need to use the full version string, you can override this default version string by setting the Update Service's version property, in the Update Service Property sheet's Use Default Product Version page, equal to the desired version string."

I thought I had done this?! Maybe not. And I can't find a Use Default Product Version page on the Update Service website. Can anyone provided more clarification for me?

Thanks,

Corey
0 Kudos
Chandima
Level 7

To configure the "Use Default Product Version" property:

1. Launch Express.
2. Open your project.
3. Go to the "Update Service" view (in the "Enable Automatic Updates" section).
4. Select the "Use Default Product Version" property (2nd one - appears disabled).
5. Now look in it's help page at the bottom of the window. It has a small edit field. Type in 1.3.3 in this field (see attached image).
6. Build and install.

From now onwards, the Update Service will ALWAYS recognize this setup as having version 1.3.3. So unless the version number on the Update Service website is explicitly set to 1.3.3, any calls you make will return a "Version not registered" error. Please keep me updated on how things go. Thanks!
0 Kudos
emcknight
Level 3

So how do you do this using InstallShield 10.5? I don't see that attribute in the Update Service view.
0 Kudos