cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hanther
Level 5

V2 Help File Samples Section

In the samples section of the help file for V2, there is a topic titled 'Download an update without running it', but it is a dead link. I am interested in learning about how to do this, is there a reason why this link is dead or can someone provide examples of this?
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Chris_Woerner
Level 10

Sorry about the missing sample. Take a look at the sample on:

"Background Downloading and Bandwidth Throttling Sample"

That has sample code to do a download without UI. After the download is complete, the user is prompted to run the installation.

Does that fit your user scenario? If not, please describe the customer experience you want to create. I will recommend the APIs that can be used to help you.
0 Kudos
hanther
Level 5

Thanks for the reply...
I guess what I am trying to accomplish is really is one of the same things slezberg is looking for - I need to download the update(s) and store them somewhere centrally where the rest of the computers in a network setup can access them without each computer having to connect to the update service to retrieve the update. The background downloading sample does offer some direction for this, but I thought that I would try to find out what the actual sample of this would look like as well, just so I have as much exposure as possible to all the options
0 Kudos
hanther
Level 5

The good news is that I've been able to get something pretty close to the background downloading sample actually working in my application. Now I have just one small issue remaining - how do I identify the name and location of the downloaded patch? I don't want to immediately run it, I want to save it in a safe location (my database) for running later. Where do the downloaded patches end up?
0 Kudos
Chris_Woerner
Level 10

If you are using the download method to get an upate to a local machine, you can use QueryValue to get the location of the downloaded patch. It can found with:

LocalFileName (12)
0 Kudos
hanther
Level 5

Thanks Chris, you're the king, this works great (any other undocumented update service functionality you're willing to let us in on - 12 is not a documented updateproperty in the help file - at least I can't find it in there)!! 😄
0 Kudos