cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tony_malandain
Level 3

Update Service does not detect installed patches?

Hi,

What must be done for the update service on the client to detect installed patches?
I published 2 msp files as updates. I added the condition on each that if the patch has already been applied (by checking the patch GUID), then the update should not be visible.
Still, the updates are listed as available after install.
Using the Windows Installer automation, I verified that the patches have been correctly installed and are returned as such by the Windows Installer API.
Which part am I missing here?

Any help greatly appreciated.
/Tony.
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
brian_c
Level 2

I had the same problem as you are describing - the condition for seeing if a patch has already been installed does not seem to work in Update Service 3.1 (I don't know if this has been fixed in 4.0).

What I did as a workaround was use the version number of the primary EXE file as a condition instead, since the build number gets incremented every time our software is rebuilt (in Visual Studio). If for whatever reason we needed to send out a patch that didn't change the EXE explicitly, we rebuild the EXE anyway to get a new build number (which also helps us later on for technical support).

That being said, I don't know why the "If Patch is Applied" condition doesn't work.
0 Kudos
tony_malandain
Level 3

Brian,
Thanks for the help.
I'm in touch with Macrovision regarding that issue. I'll let you know as soon as I get more details.
brian_c wrote:
I had the same problem as you are describing - the condition for seeing if a patch has already been installed does not seem to work in Update Service 3.1 (I don't know if this has been fixed in 4.0).

What I did as a workaround was use the version number of the primary EXE file as a condition instead, since the build number gets incremented every time our software is rebuilt (in Visual Studio). If for whatever reason we needed to send out a patch that didn't change the EXE explicitly, we rebuild the EXE anyway to get a new build number (which also helps us later on for technical support).

That being said, I don't know why the "If Patch is Applied" condition doesn't work.
0 Kudos