cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hlogmans
Level 6

Single language problems

Nice problem: i have about 50 messages still being used by customers for past years. With the new language support, i finally had the idea to give my users the promised dutch language. But you forgot one thing: if you only have one language, all the previous messages are registered in English, so if you change the language, the messages do not show up anymore (after re-writing the message) because the language of the message is forced to the new language.

If someone has single-language support, why don't you ignore the setting on the user-side? Or at least give the option to do so? Why didn't you make an entry 'all languages' in the message?

Is there a workaround? You always notice these problems when things are urgent!

Regards,

Hugo Logmans
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Chris_Woerner
Level 10

With language support, we want the Update Service runtime to appear in the language of your application. The only way to do that, is to have the local client know what language the application is using. That is why the ISUS language property is set during the installation of your product and all dialogs and messages appear in that language.

So lets talk about how to switch customers from having the ISUS appear in English (using old Agent) to Dutch (using new Agent).... Any ISUS Agent prior to 2.20 will be passing "english" as the default language. So, the ISUS runtime will continue to appear in English even if you enter messages in Dutch. In fact, messages entered in Dutch won't appear for those users, because the old Agents are passing "english".

To properly switch customers, you need to deploy the new Agent (2.20) with the language property set to Dutch. You can do this with your next update. This will cause the ISUS runtime to appear in Dutch and it will enable those customer to see Dutch messages. You should leave you existing messages in place, but can author all new messages in Dutch for customer who get your update.

From your suggestions, I think you want to be able to convert your existing customer base from seeing English to Dutch without rolling out the new ISUS runtime Agent (2.20). Unfortunately, that isn't possible. The new Agent is required to make the ISUS runtime appear in Dutch regardless of server side settings.
0 Kudos
hlogmans
Level 6

One thing is not completely clear to me: will they receive the messages in Dutch if they use ANY program that was written by us using the new UpdateService? So if a new setup installs the US2.20, all installations will benefit from this?

Regards,

Hugo Logmans
0 Kudos
Chris_Woerner
Level 10

Not really. The language code that identifies the "language of the application" is stored locally with the product. So all your products currently have 'english' because that is the default. To start using the Dutch interface, you need to distribute an update that includes the new Agent and sets that language code to Dutch. At that point, everything turns to Dutch for that customer.
0 Kudos