cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Several Issues

I have just begun working with the Update Service and an Evaluation account. First off I would like to say that I think the Update Service is an excellent idea and the feature list is impressive.
As a beggining user, though, there have been several issues that are quite dissapointing.
1.) In Install Shield, when activating the Update Service, it says "For sample code, see the Online Help located on the Update Service Web Site" After looking, searching, and trying everything I could, it took me over 2 hours to eventually find this Online Help section buried in the Members area after you login to your Update Service Account. Then once I have found the Online Help there are a few advanced samples but no simple samples on how to just call the update service.
I eventually found a bit of info about calling the AppUpdate method but the help file was quite incomplete in it's instructions. It says:

"Instead of calling CreateObject, you can use Visual Basic's References dialog box to set a reference to the type library and use the statement:

Dim pAgent as New DWUpdateServiceLib.Agent"

My question was WHAT TYPE LIBRARY. what's the name of it, where do you find it, etc....details...details

Then it says the call should look like this:

AppUpdate "{C4091E43-4FC0-11D5-8C6C-00104B9747FA}", AppMenu

using the product code. Well the product code changes with every version release, so which one do you use? This is something you send hard coded in the program, if your product code changes with each version how does that affect this? Again, details..details..

I love the update service but have been surprised by the difficulty I have had thus far. Every other product I have used from InstallShield has been just awsome....It just works. This product has been much clunkier and difficult. Any help would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
Chris_Woerner
Level 10

I'm sorry you found the help to be incomplete in regards to the samples. We tried to put sample code into the reference section under each method that would explain how to call that method. Obviously, we didn't succeed.

Let me answer the non-technical question first. The product code is your product code from the installer project. The Update Service uses the product code and product version to identify your product.

The product code doesn't have to change with each release. At InstallShield, we keep the same product code for all minor releases (service packs) of the product. We only change the product code when we have a major release. In reality, the product code doesn't even need to change for major releases. It is just our practice.

I'll post the answer to your question on the TYPE LIBRARY in a seperate posting.
0 Kudos
Chris_Woerner
Level 10

The name of the type library is 'DWUpdate Service 1.0 Type Library'. Sorry about that.

Another posting on the same topic that may provide more insight for you....

http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105059&highlight=type+library
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Thanks Chris

That got things working a little better.
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Hi Chris
Several More issues that are causing problems.

1. In the online help file it says to create a shortcut from the users start menu to the update agent simply enter the target as:
\InstallShield\UpdateService\Agent.exe
Well when I try to do this in express, it says path invalid.

2. I have gone through the checklist and registered a product and added a message to the update service. The problem is that calling AppUpdate from within my software from a menu option does not list any messages. Running the test from within the Online Account shows that messages should appear for that program. Any thoughts on these 2 issues.
0 Kudos
Chris_Woerner
Level 10

There are two ways to create a short-cut that invokes the ISUS using Express.

1. Project wizard will create one by default with the correct properties

2. To add a short-cut to an existing project, Express gives you a couple of choices...

- new shortcut
- new shortcut to existing file

Choose 'new short-cut to existing file'. Browse to the Agent.exe to select it. Unfortunately, Express doesn't allow direct entry of the short cut target property as the help implies. You need to browse to the file.
0 Kudos
Chris_Woerner
Level 10

OK, lets find your messages. The ISUS passes two fields to identify your product (product and version). To see what is being passed to the website to check for updates, open the Test Utility on a machine with your application installed. (start/programs/installshield/update service/Test Utility)

You should see a node for your product. Open the node. Displayed are the product code and version. You can ingnore the installer version for right now. Do those values match the values you entered on the Publisher website for your product and version? Version often catches people. By default, the ISUS only reads the first two pieces (major.minor) of the version string.

If those match, check the status of the messages. Are they active?
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

OK
The shortcut worked when I used the "New Shortcut to Preexisting File" option as oposed to the "New Shortcut" option.

As for getting it to find any messages - still no luck.
I have looked everywhere for this test utility that you say is in (start/programs/installshield/update service/Test Utility) but have not been able to find such a utility. What is the name of the exe and where exactly is it be installed. (I can't find this utility on either my machine with Express on it or my test machine with my program installed.)

And yes the message is set to active. (does it make a difference that my account is in evaluation mode?)

Thanks
Dan
0 Kudos
Chris_Woerner
Level 10

Sounds like you may not have installed the SDK (which installs the Test Utility). After you login to the Publisher Website, the home page has a section for Developer information. The first link is the SDK. It installs several things...

- our latest runtime files to be included in your setup. They get installed directly into the Express program folders.
- the online help
- test utility that helps debug issues like the one that you have
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Your right
I had never even heard of the SDK before. That solved lots of problems. It included the Online Help that I had so desperately searched for.
The TestUtility showed that it was looking for a update for version 1.05.
I had incorrectly assumed that version 1.05 was the same as 1.5 (live and learn)
Once that was corrected the message displayed correctly.

Thanks for all the help Chirs. Love the product.
0 Kudos