cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swalser
Level 2

Product version comparison on 3 fields?

Hi there

Maybe I don't really understand the product version comparison in update service 4.5 (professional edition). Is it possible, that the update service only compare the first two fields of the product version, when the customer search for new updates?

For example, I have installed MyProduct 5.1.0 on my computer. Now I publish a patch 5.1.1 (a hotfix or so) who should be only available for MyProduct with version 5.1.0. After I've installed the patch my installed program has the version MyProduct 5.1.1. That's right so. But now, when I search for new updates, the update service shows me still the patch 5.1.1 as available update for my installed product. It seems, that the update service compare only the first two fields of the product version (ex: patch 5.1(.1) - is available for MyProduct 5.1(.0) and MyProduct 5.1(.1) and so forth.)

Is there any other way to solve this problem, than that I have to create a minor update patch (with a minor upgrade the second field of version number will change to 5.2 and not only to 5.1.1)?

Regards, Stefan
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
KellyF
Level 9

First thing that comes to mind is to add a condition to your update using a registry key value (assuming your package updates the registry). That way, you could show the update if the registry value was "blah" or whatever...

This is just off the top of my head with no thorough thought, so it may not be the best of ideas, but I think it'd work for you.

Kelly
0 Kudos
Sunny_s
Level 6

You are correct that Update Service by default uses major and minor version elements.

Please refer to help and search for

Add the Update Service Agent to the Installation Setup

You should find topics like

Add the Update Service Agent to the Installation Setup: InstallShield Developer and DevStudio

or

Add the Update Service Agent to the Installation Setup: InstallShield Professional

Any of these help topics should help you use customize version scheme.

Thanks
-Sunny
0 Kudos
swalser
Level 2

Thank you for the quick advice! I think, it should work so.

Best regards, Stefan
0 Kudos
rchand445
Level 5

Kelly,

In this case, setting the DWUSVERSION in the Property Manager to 5.x.x (where x.x = current installed minor/build) should solve swalser's issue?
0 Kudos
Not applicable

While DWUSVERSION seems to working OK for .MSI packages, it does not seemed to be picked up by .MSP patches. Any ideas everyone?

Thanks. :confused:
0 Kudos