cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
varunparange
Level 2

How do i enable automatic updates for my Application?

Hi,

I use InstallShield X and i have created an installer for my application using an InstallScript Project (not MSI).

I want to add an Update Service to my installation such that it checks for updates regularly and downloads them from my Updates URL.

I am really in the dark when it comes to this issue .. and don't know where to start.

My questions are:

1) What settings and changes in InstallScript do i have to make ?
2) What are the settings and Format of my Updates server needed?

What exactly is the Publisher Web-site... is this the location where my updates are uploaded... if not.. then where are my updates uploaded?

thanks in advance...

regards
Varun
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Brad_Peterson
Level 7

Try searching around these forums. InstallShield Update Service is a product where you are given a large number of flexible tools, and then you have to figure out how to implement those tools in your application. The best way to understand these tools is to read, read, read. The documentation has some good insights, and these forums also have good insights. After some time of reading, you should hopefully get a good idea what you need.

1) What settings and changes in InstallScript do i have to make ?
2) What are the settings and Format of my Updates server needed?

Regarding #1, you will need your application to have the Update Service API installed on the customers machine. From what I understand, you have to install this API as part of a merge module. If your customers already have an installed app without the Update Service API, you may very well need to make a new install that has the Update Service merge module and API included with it.

Regarding #2, You have some flexibility in determining how you want to distribute updates. Most people choose to send out updates as part of one large patch every few months or so. If that fits your need, stick with it. Here, you would upload the update to a file server. Then, using Update Service's online publisher, found at: http://services.installshield.com/doLogin.do, you can tell Update Service's servers the URL of the update, its total size, and you can target the update by product and version. Before you would do this, you'd have to tell Update Service about your product (via GUID's), and version numbers in use.

From there, you would need to figure out how your app needs to check with the Update Service's servers. You can use InstallShield's Update Manager (part of the API, if you choose to install it via the merge module), or you can use other various API object to better tighten the integration. Either way, the client (users) computer can check in with Update Service's servers and get the available updates.

If you had a different update scenario in mind, just keep asking questions. Questions and reading are the best way to learn how Update Service works.
0 Kudos