cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hanther
Level 5

Where Does ISUS Get Its Version # From?

I have the SDK installed on the same computer as I have my app that uses the ISUS, and when I run upgrades on it, the Version field that displays is still showing my old version #, but the Installer Version shows the correct version #. Where does the 'Version' field come from and what investigations can I do to figure out why it is not getting set properly? I am using ISUS 4.5 (and just upgrading to 4.6) and Developer 8, and the major.minor.build version #'s, ie, 4.32.0022
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Brad_Peterson
Level 7

Do you have an MSI installer? For me, ISUS checks the version number against what it thinks it is in some MSI database floating around somewhere. You are on the right track looking and an installer verison number and your app's version number. If your main app isn't getting updated, then that means your update that is downloaded and proccessed isn't updating your main app.
0 Kudos
hanther
Level 5

It is an MSI project, and the app does update fine when the patch is run, but the update service version # is not touched. Therefore, the next time you connect to the update service to look for updates (for the new version), it still thinks its the old version and shows the updates for that
0 Kudos
Brad_Peterson
Level 7

Aaah, ok.

In that situation, then the MSI patch must increase the entire installed product's version number. This part is not something ISUS can do. ISUS can only read the version number from the MSI database. ISUS doesn't write or update it, as that version number is deeply ingrained in part of the MSI database...and that in itself is a complicated mess...which is why ISUS shouldn't ever try to modify it.

I know with InstallShield Express X, when I create a patch, it asks for the new version number for the product. If I forget to put that in, I get the same problem you are running into. When I do put that new version number in, then I'm set. I would assume you would have to find a way to do something similar in your InstallShield product when you create the MSI patch.
0 Kudos
hanther
Level 5

There is a field in Developer where you specify the update service version # and I have always updated that value with each build. This has been working up until 1 or 2 versions ago and the only thing that I can think of that has changed is that I upgraded to the 4.5 and 4.6 versions of the update service client. Maybe there is a problem in there, or some other new setting that I have missed, but I'd like to know if I can manually correct that value on my users' computers so they check the update service correctly when looking for updates as well as knowing why this has stopped working
0 Kudos
Brad_Peterson
Level 7

Unfortunately, I don't think there is any easy way of updating the users entry. As I said, MSI stores this information deep in their database. I personally have no clue where that is on the users computers.

Again, the problem must lie within Developer, it is not dependent at all on ISUS. One thing you can do to test this is to make a test update patch. Use Developer to make the patch, then run the patch it made for you. Now, see if increased the version number. If it didn't, then that shows you ISUS is not involved, and the problem lies in the way Developer creates patches.
0 Kudos