cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tw0001
Level 4

Concept of "show installed updates"?

In Windows update, and other "check for updates" style HTML interfaces, there is a concept of "show installed updates", of stuff you have already installed through the update service. So theoretically you could do a "download only" of an already installed update.

Is there a concept of showing what's already been installed from the Update service, or is it purely a rule based - show me what's available system, where no info is stored about what could have been installed in the past.

Ted.
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Chris_Woerner
Level 10

I like the idea. It is on our feature list - but we cannot do that today. Right now, we do not maintain a history. We just show what is available for the product you have installed.

Also along those lines, we want to build a "delete" or "don't show this update again".
0 Kudos
tw0001
Level 4

Doing a history on the server side would be nice, but I was thinking more along the lines of doing something from the client side. Think about that for a minute. You can send some info out to the server from the client about what has already been installed, just like we currently do for checking for available updates. Almost a separate set of rules for what to appear on a list of "installed updates", rather than "available updates". Something along the lines of: if client version = checked against version, then show it on the list of installed updates.

Ted.
0 Kudos
Chris_Woerner
Level 10

I was with you on the history being stored on the client side. Believe me, it would be too much data to store that on the server. Windows Update follows that model. It keeps your history local. Locally, we want to maintain a list of installed updates and deleted messages. That gives us flexibility on what to show/hide based on user request.
0 Kudos
tw0001
Level 4

Cool, thanks,

Ted.
0 Kudos