cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NealC804
Level 8

And another update that keeps popping up

The standalone build engine for 10.5 SP1 keeps popping up. I installed it about two hours ago when it appeared, now it's back again!!!

Now, please, I ask for an answer to this:

1. There is obviously a software update listed.
2. Look at the message, my favorite sentence: "0 update messages and 0 messages are also available"

Who came up with this phrase? Please change it, it is poorly worded! My suggestion:

If both 0, then "There are no updates or messages available"

If either is 1 or more:

X software updates and Y messages are available, see below.

Now, please find out why I keep getting informed of this StandAlone build engine.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Hi Neal,

One of the reasons we leave the message up is that, per the terms of your InstallShield EULA, you are entitled to install ten (10) stand-alone build engines for every full license of InstallShield you own. Customers may want to download it and install it on their local machine, then download another copy at a later date to install elsewhere.

It's Friday - let's all have a Delicious Beverage!

bob
0 Kudos
NealC804
Level 8

Thanks for the response Bob! I would imagine then it would be something saved off then and not sit in the Update Manager as that's for delivering updates, not storage for available installations such as software you may have purchased?

Additionally, this is an update, not message, however, can you please explain why this user-interface shows 0's for both "update messages" and "messages"? It just doesn't make sense. If there was one thing I would like removed and replaced in this system is THAT dialog. It is just too confusing all around! How do you mark something as "read" so it doesn't show again, how can I save off an update to a folder locally to install when I want, and put it in a place I want it? On and on....this piece needs attention in a big way!
0 Kudos
Chandima
Level 7

I created work order 1-13P4SO to address the issue you pointed out with the Update Manager. Thanks!
0 Kudos
NealC804
Level 8

I got another notification of the stand alone build engine download. The Update Manager is NOT a storage medium (permanent) for downloads, i.e. it's not a download manager which is your intent with this particular update. As there will always be new customers to 10.5, you will never be able to pull this down. Instead this needs to be part of a customers account download section and not be a nuisance in the update manager. Please remove the update to avoid the constant notification of new updates when there is not.

Thank you.
0 Kudos