Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Administrative priviledges for Update Service DLLs

Hi,

I keep getting the Windows Installer "Preparing to install" dialog everytime I run my application as a user without administrative priviledges. I am using the Update Service in my application and have references the Update Service4 component in my application. I am also calling the update service to check for Updates everytime the application is loaded.

I'd like to know if there are any other directories which require changes in priviledges other than the "UpdateService\Database" folder.

Thanks in advance.

Vin Ganti.
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Vin,
Which InstallShield product are you using?
Microsoft Windows Installer is attempting to repair a component (s) in your application. This can occur if a key file or a key path has been corrupted or deleted.

This is a feature in Windows installer. If your application is attempting to use a key file or a key (registry) path and it does not find it for some reason, it will try to repair it.

To troubleshoot this we need to determine what component it is attempting to repair. Please do the following:
1. Go to Control Panel--> Administrative Tools--> Event viewer-->Application
2. Look for the latest events with "MsiInstaller" in the source column and “Error" or "Warning" in the Type column.

3. Double click in on the event. In the description, it will give you the component ID of the component.

If you are using developer, you can search for the component in the direct editor. That should tell you the name of the component and the file it is having problems with.

Look for this file before launching your app. Does it exist?

Let me know the results.
Leykun M.
InstallShield
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

vin,
Can you also post the description you find in the last "MsiInstaller" event in the Event Viewer?
Thank you.
Leykun M.
InstallShield
0 Kudos