cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mashup files - maximum field lengths

I have a couple of questions about the data within a mashup file.

1. Is there a character limit for any field that we supply? I realise we can put any data into the file and field but I want to know when Data Platform processes the file, is there a field limit which may cause the process to fail? For example, our extra application information contains a description field which sometimes people over populate.  Largest Ive seen contains >2000 characters. 

2.  Are there any characters that are not acceptable in the data and would cause the process to fail ?  

by the way, i have already read the mashup tutorial doc and it did not answer my questions. 

thanks 

(1) Solution
haguru
By Level 3 Flexeran
Level 3 Flexeran

Hi. 
As far as character limits are concerned, you want your string fields to be no longer than 256 characters. If you are using a SQL data source for your mashup, then use DDL that will truncate the field for you,  otherwise you may encounter truncation errors. 
Regarding character types,  in my experience, there are not any documented issues or restrictions in this regard but YMMV. If you do encounter errors or issues that you believe may be related to certain characters, please log a support incident for us to review. 

View solution in original post

(2) Replies
haguru
By Level 3 Flexeran
Level 3 Flexeran

Hi. 
As far as character limits are concerned, you want your string fields to be no longer than 256 characters. If you are using a SQL data source for your mashup, then use DDL that will truncate the field for you,  otherwise you may encounter truncation errors. 
Regarding character types,  in my experience, there are not any documented issues or restrictions in this regard but YMMV. If you do encounter errors or issues that you believe may be related to certain characters, please log a support incident for us to review. 

thanks @haguru that's helped a lot.