cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Urgent Problem

Hi all !

I need to deploy a file everytime a (new) user logs on. The installation of the program is started automatically if the user has permissions for the software.

Is there something like the "HKLU" for Registry Key wich installs everytime when the user logs on ?

I need to deploy a config file on a netshare. The file is user dynamic and the patch is created based on systemvariables.
So when a user starts the application a file should be created if its not already build.

I use Adminstudio 5 with Value Pack 1.

!Any! hints are welcome...

Thanks,
A$-User
(7) Replies
I have a couple idea that might help. There are probably a couple much cleaners ways but to do what you want.

For example you could add an install line (msiexec.exe / i "blah...blahh.msi) into the RunOnce registry key. For all new users you would just have to load the value in the the Default User NTUSER.DAT.
I think the Active Setup registry key could be what you are looking for. I've never actually tried this myself (so please let us know how you get on) but here is one example http://www.myitforum.com/inc/upload/8254ActiveSetupSample.MSI
first i´d like to thank you both for your methods of resolution.

@Pfeiffer:
I tried the bla bla.msi but got the messgage bla bla.msi not found 😉 just kidding

I have a Windows XP Client environment and a mechanism wich fixes out if a user has permissions to a software or not. Each time a user logs on. If yes the Software becomes installed and the config file is written(should be written... thas what i want) in the users homeshare. So it is possible that a User who uses a Computer has permissions and another user does´nt has permissions. Thats why i can´t use the RunOnce Registry Key.

@DavidLock
I don´t have much VBScript experience but tomorrow i will try to fix out what the costum action does.

Maybe you have a good webressource wich you can advise to learn VBSript.(exept MSDN Library :-))
You received the bla bla.msi not found because you left the H's off. 😛

Ouch, I have been down this road before. We used to use WinInstall. Had a little app that checked membership and then wrote "installed" to an INI file. I do not envy you. 🙂

So if I understand you right here is the sequence of events. Or as close as I care to remember *finds a happy place*

Customer logs in > Custom App Runs > Check some permission table > Verifys that the application Is / Is Not install via the Config.nt file > IF Blah.msi=No then install application > After install Write Blah=Yes to last line of Config.nt.

I would go with a VBScript Custom Action. you can check out this side, it is where I have stolen...borrowed all my best code from.

http://www.winscripter.com/wsh/fileio/ht_createfile.asp

Good luck.
I don´t know how the config.nt fits in the method of resolution.
What can i do with that file ?

My problem is that if a second User logs in to a machine where the msi is already installed, how can i install or create the file?

Where do i have to put the code in and in which InstallExec Sequence do i have to place the run costume action VBScript?

If the System observes that the application is already installed how is the sequence of code that will be executed although the msi is already installed?
Sorry, meant your Config file not Config.nt. Was doing to many things at once. 😞

The minute you new customer logs on the applications should repair. I am assumming your scripts are be deployed Per-User, and not Per-Machine. When the new profile is create the .Msi should repair and the code will be retriggered.

Code Placement
In-Script Execution = Immediate Execution
Install UI Sequence = After SetupCompleteSucess
Until now i don´t use InstallSkript. I have only to repackage applications. MSI and Legacy. I don´t know how to use Installskript with Legacy or MSI Applications. Is this possible ???

Or what exactly do you mean with
I am assumming your scripts are be deployed Per-User, and not Per-Machine

I am assumming your scripts are be deployed Per-User, and not Per-Machine

What does that mean ?
Is there a option when i create InstallSkript where i can say. Develop as "per User" ?
And can i use the script in a MSI Package respectiv in a MST for an MSI ???

I wish you a nice weekend Pfeiffer!
Top Kudoed Authors