cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blitz89
Level 3

xml file changes in maintenance

Hello,
I have successfully setup my installation with xml file changes associated with each different component etc... So, I have component/feature specific xml attributes written to my xml file.
Now, when I go to maintenance and change the installed features, those features are updated properly. However, the xml file is clobbered, and ONLY the attributes associated with the newly selected components in the maintenance selection are in the xml file now.
What I WANT is for the entire xml file generation to rerun on maintenance, so I get all of the application specific information in there. Please help, how can I do this?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
s_richardson
Level 3

Hi

I am having the exact same problem, there is no help in knowledge base and unfortunately no-one has got back to me on the forums.

Did you ever resolve this?

I really struggle with this product sometimes, 2009 gives you a great view so you can set values in XML files on install but for some reason maintenance (modify) mode is a big no no and there is nothing out therre!
0 Kudos
blitz89
Level 3

Hi. Yes, I did resolve my issue, though it is still a struggle. But i was NOT able to get the xml file to just "rerun". I had to manipulate the xml attributes accordingly.

For those attributes that I wanted modified during a maintenance change, I set up their properties as follows:
In the general tab for the xml element, my value attribute's Operation was "Create Attribute" with Scheduling set to "Both". Then, in its advanced settings checked the first two, update first matching element only and always create this element if it doesnt already exist. That meant unchecking the "Remove element on uninstall"

In my maintenance, I might be removing a feature with a shared attribute, so dont remove it when it should be removed, instead update its value. That is how I solved the problem. Then, if it was a shared value, its root occurence would be on the parent feature, thus at THAT location, is where the attribute would be removed.

Does that make sense?

As a side note, even though my xml wasnt right when I posted this, peforming a repair after the maintenance would fix the xml file, if that is any help.
0 Kudos