cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wolverine
Level 4

want to Migration of projects from IS2008 to IS2009.

Hello Eveyone

I am new to install shield...
Our company has number of install shield(Installscript MSI) projects developed in 2008 with minors like 4.2.0, 4.2.1, 4.2.3, 4.2.4, 4.2.4......

Now we have purchased newer license of IS2009 premier.
So whenever I open the previous projects it is asking us to migrate. There are still some IS2008 machines. So dont want to do migration.
Is there any workarounds for this?

Also want to know if we do migrate will it support previous chain of patches (Minor updates)in installshield, allowing me to create patch.

Any help will be greatful

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Christoph
Level 8

When you open an installshield 2008 project with InstallShield 2009, you will always be asked to migrate the project. In this way, you will not be able anymore to open the migrated project with your 'old' InstallShield 2008 copy.

Why should you open your projects with installshield 2009 and don't migrate your project.

What you could do is keeping a installshield 2008 buildsystem(for changes on older projects) and install an installshield 2009 buildsystem to continue development on your installer projects....
0 Kudos
wolverine
Level 4

Thanks for your reply..

We want to develop more with installshield.

So we are purchased with another license of IS 2009
Now we had two machines for Production of lets say buildsystem 2008 and buildsystem 2009.

Very basic question is projects developed in both systems can not be edited in other.Means do we have to go for downgrade or upgrade that will make both systems same. I will say we want a backup production clone to develop more resources for IS development.

If we go for upgrade will it support say previous Link of projects after migrating them.
Straight question : Will base developed in IS 2008 allow me to create patches in 2009 without any issues?

Thansks for any help.
0 Kudos
Christoph
Level 8

to be honest, I don't understand completely your question, problem.

But this is how we work:

We use source control for all our software projects(kust like you do probably).

We have a dev-branch and let's say a V04-branch.
After the dev-branch is branched to V04, we upgraded(migrated!) Installshield to 2009 let's say, while the V04-branch is still an Installshield 2008 project.

So... for new development, we work on the dev-branch and with Installshield 2009.
if we need to change something on the V04-branch, we use installshield 2008.

Hope this makes things a little bit clearer...
0 Kudos