cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mescalero
Level 7

virtual directories not created

Hello All,

I've found numerous posts on this issue, but still I am so far unable to get round this problem: the virtual directories I am creating under the websites in IIS are created instead as physical folders. I'm associating the virtual dirs with unique components, as I've seen suggested, but at this point, I don't know what else to try, as the setup in the IDE seems straightforward.

Thanks for any suggestions/questions you may have.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

The IIS functionality does not create folders on the file system where a setup is installed to. Instead, it uses the IIS COM interfaces to create virtual directories (which are created as applications) which results in information being added to the IIS metabase (IIS 6 and earlier) or IIS applicationHost.config/web.config (IIS 7 and newer) configuration files.

Can you clarify what you mean by the virtual directories being created as physical folders?
0 Kudos
Mescalero
Level 7

Sure, what I'm seeing under the website in IIS are simply folders like one would see in windows explorer, as distinct from the icon used for a virtual directory. So my web-based application doesn't work until I manually create the virtual directory.

Thanks for your post. Let me know if I can provide more/better info (e.g., a screen print, if that would clarify things).
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Can you attach a verbose log of the installation? You can create the log with the following command line:
setup.exe /v"/l*v C:\PathToLog\LogFile.log"
0 Kudos
Mescalero
Level 7

I've attached the verbose log (broken into two files to get round the attachment size limit for .txt), thanks for having a look...
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

According to the log, the following IIS resources are being created:
- Website named 'smawebsvcs', site number 101, port number 9648; application created for this site at path '/' is 'Default Application3'
- Website named 'webopcon', site number 100, port number 8748; application created for this site at path '/' is 'Default Application1'

It also appears that the following components were not requested for installation: WebsiteComponent, VirtualDirComponent, WebsiteComponent1, VirtualDirComponent1, VirtualDirComponent2, VirtualDirComponent3, VirtualDirComponent3, VirtualDirComponent4, VirtualDirComponent6, VirtualDirComponent5, VirtualDirComponent7, VirtualDirComponent10, VirtualDirComponent8, VirtualDirComponent9. These are likely not requested for installation because there are a few feature contained in the MSI that are not being selected for installation. Please see the InstallValidate section of the log for information on which features have a NULL request state.

Since there are a number of components that are not being installation, and based on the names of these components, the behavior you are seeing would be expected. These components would need to be installed to have any IIS resources in them to be installed also.
0 Kudos
Mescalero
Level 7

Thank you for that. I'll associate those components and see if it makes a difference. Can the components be "empty", as long as they point to the target directory and are linked to a feature? Or do they need to include the files that install to the corresponding directory on the user's machine?
0 Kudos
Mescalero
Level 7

In case it helps anyone, the solution that worked for me was to upgrade to IS 2010; the virtual directories were then created as expected.
0 Kudos