cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ZygoCorp
Level 6

verbose install log for InstallScript projects??

I know you can create a verbose install log using msiexec /L*V xxxxx. Is there an equivalent for an InstallScript project that creates an exe, not an msi?? One of my components isn't being installed. I'm not sure why. It is associated with the Default Feature, which is always installed. I'm looking for information to debug the problem. Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
ch_eng
Level 7

setup.exe /verbose"c:\filename.wil" works for me. When you use the ".wil" file extension you can open it via Tools->MSI Log Analyzer.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

InstallScript projects do not have an option to create log files similar to Windows Installer packages (it is possible to create a trace log, but these are encrypted and must be sent to us for analysis).

Typically, an InstallScript project will skip installing a component if a language, Operating System, or Platform Suite is specified for the component (i.e., these settings are not set to "independent"). These settings are used to filter if a component should be installed on a target machine.

Note that it is possible to determine which components were installed by adding one of the following events to your script (remove all the default code in them if you are not using these features):
OnIISComponentInstalled
OnSQLComponentInstalled
OnXMLComponentInstalled

The above events are always called by the engine after a component has been installed. These events are passed the name of the component that has been installed.
0 Kudos