cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pwhoriskey1
Level 3

vcredist not available at url in prq

We have a downloader type installer using a basic msi project in IS2011. The vcredist rereq was working fine until recently. Now users are getting an error that the vcredist is not available. Tehy get similar messages for 32 and 64-bit systems:

An error occurred while downloading the file http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/E/D/7ED72B8A-D457-4DF0-B455-42A85FA157FF/vcredist_x64.exe

Is this address out of date? The address in installshield's altprqUrl field points to a prq that has the out-of-date url's. Will that be fixed?
http://saturn.installshield.com/is/prerequisites/microsoft%20visual%20c++%202008%20sp1%20redistributable%20package%20(x86).prq

Am I the only one who uses the files as installed? Moving forward I'll get the redist files set up somewhere that I control. For setup.exe's weve released though we'll continue to get these errors. Has anyone else run into this or have a solution for files that have been released already?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
jescott
Level 3

This is a problem in both IS 2010 and 2011. They need to fix this ASAP as it's hammering our support calls with this problem.

What I don't understand is why InstallShield doesn't use the original URL in the "files" section of the local PRQ file, which has the correct URL. Instead, it hits the PRQ file on saturn.installshield.com and uses the bad one.

Jon.
0 Kudos
SherylSikora
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

We recently updated these prq files to support the latest Microsoft security updates to these redists. The problem is occurring because Microsoft has made yet another update to these redists and in the process, pulled the URLs offline without creating a redirect for them.

For now, I have updated the prq files on our server to the original ones that do not contain the security update. This will allow the downloads to occur without error. We will update these prq files with the MS security updates in the near future.
(If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)
0 Kudos
jescott
Level 3

That's going to be a load off of our support!

Thanks,
Jon.
0 Kudos