cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kms062264
Level 3

update.exe and vista

When I run the update.exe I have to right-click and run as administrator in order to work properly. I dont have to do this with my setup.exe.

With Setup.exe, I get the accept prompt initially and all is good after that. However, with update.exe I dont get the UAC prompt and update.exe just fails with an error. However, if I right click run as admin on update.exe it works correctly. What do I need to change regarding my update.exe settings to make it behave like setup.exe?

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
kms062264
Level 3

Is Macrovision monitoring this forum?
0 Kudos
arsirantala
Level 5

Vista will work by default for application named like setup.exe so they show the shield icon overlay on top of the setup application icon (when you check it in file explorer) - i.e. UAC dialog will appear if you try to launch it.

If you want application which doesn't have this kind name in it, then you will have to have the vista manifest on it - basically it means you have the "Required Execution Level" set to Administrator in Releases/setup.exe (I take it that your update.exe is installation package which you've generated using installshield?).
0 Kudos
kms062264
Level 3

Yes, I am using IS to build the update.exe (patch)

The properties are set the same for setup.exe, as well as the build uncompressed for patch project. They are identical. If the manifest is included in setup.exe automatically then why isn't IS including the manifest for update.exe so that it would behave the same as setup.exe?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Stefan_Krueger
Level 9

Does it work if you manually rename update.exe to setup.exe ?

Vista tries to detects setup programs, for instance if they have "setup" or "install" in the name. If such a program is detected which doersn't have a manifest, Vista will automatically display the UAC dialog. But if your exe doesn't match these criteria it won't get the UAC propmpt by default, unless you add a manifest. So same settings will lead to different results, based on the file name.
Stefan Krueger
InstallSite.org
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

There is a recorded request to have update.exe follow the manifest setting from the last setup.exe. We're tracking it as WO# IOC-000059715; this will hopefully be addressed in a future release.
0 Kudos
kms062264
Level 3

In the meantime, how can I continue using update.exe at my target for patch and get around this problem? How can i include a manifest in the patch? What are my options other than renaming update.exe to setup.exe or install.exe?

Thanks for the update.
0 Kudos
arsirantala
Level 5

While waiting for the hotfix from Installshield, you can manually modify the patch executable resource to have a manifest which will make the UAC dialog to appear.

You'll need a utility to modify this resource information - handy tool for this is "Resource Tuner".

By default the patch executable contains this kind of manifest:

version="1.0.0.0"
processorArchitecture="X86"
name="InstallShield.Setup"
type="win32"
/>
InstallShield.Setup

type="win32"
name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"
version="6.0.0.0"
processorArchitecture="X86"
publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"
language="*"
/>

level="asInvoker"
uiAccess="false"/>

Now if you change the section:

level="asInvoker"
uiAccess="false"/>

to

level="requireAdministrator"
uiAccess="false"/>

0 Kudos
kms062264
Level 3

I used the tool you mentioned and it works as intended.

The problem now is that I have to manually perform the manifest hack everytime i build a patch. After doing some add'l research on this I was wondering if I could 1) find the update.exe template or the default manifest file and modify the default settings before actually building the patch. This way the patch would be build using my changes in the default manifest.

Thoughts?
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Update.exe is built from the setup.exe in ...\Redist\Language Independent\i386; modifying it is not officially supported, but should allow you to accomplish what you're looking for. Just be careful with making global changes like this.
0 Kudos