cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ZainaFathima
Level 3

unsupported 16-bit application(helper.exe)

We are building the 64-bit package using Installshield 2012 spring , and we are trying to install the package(setup.exe) While installation we are getting unsupported 16bit application error in helper.exe at certain point of time and our installation becomes unsuccessful. But we can able to install the same setup.exe through command prompt. But we want to install the setup.exe by clicking it and not by passing arguments through Command prompt.

Someone please help me to resolve this problem. We are using Windows7 64-bit PC(InstallShield 2012 spring).

Thanks in Advance...
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(10) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Is this helper.exe one of your own or provided by InstallShield? (I can't think of any 16-bit code we would be providing.) If by running the installation on the command line, you mean running a silent install, I would look for custom actions in the dialogs or in the InstallUISequence that wouldn't be running in a silent case. (This may indicate a problem with your silent installation missing actions, or it may be fine to skip it.)

And by all means, replace the 16-bit code with something more modern; 16-bit code typically cannot run at all on a 64-bit OS, and is unnecessary on a 32-bit one.
0 Kudos
ZainaFathima
Level 3

MichaelU wrote:
Is this helper.exe one of your own or provided by InstallShield? (I can't think of any 16-bit code we would be providing.) If by running the installation on the command line, you mean running a silent install, I would look for custom actions in the dialogs or in the InstallUISequence that wouldn't be running in a silent case. (This may indicate a problem with your silent installation missing actions, or it may be fine to skip it.)

And by all means, replace the 16-bit code with something more modern; 16-bit code typically cannot run at all on a 64-bit OS, and is unnecessary on a 32-bit one.

Hi Michael,,

Thanks for the reply...

The helper.exe is provided by the installshield , due to this helper.exe unsupported 16-bit application error we can't able to install our package by clicking the setup.exe.

Can U please give some workaround for this.....?? we want to install our package by clicking the setup.exe.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

We're not shipping a 16-bit helper.exe; is it possible that you have a corrupt copy of something? What's the installation trying to do when it calls this helper?
0 Kudos
ZainaFathima
Level 3

Hi Michael,

thanks for your reply.

while launching our installation through setup.exe, we are getting this helper.exe(unsupported 16-bit application) error at one point of time and our installation got failed.

I attached the snapshot for the error.

while building our package at the end we are getting the below statement in our output window after that only our setup.exe will be created.

ISMSDE2000 Object: Streaming 'C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield\2012Spring\Objects\ISMSDE2000\Redist\SqlRun.Cab' into MSI file.
ISMSDE2000 Object: Streaming 'C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield\2012Spring\Objects\ISMSDE2000\Redist\SqlRun01.Msi' into MSI file.
ISMSDE2000 Object: Streaming 'C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield\2012Spring\Objects\ISMSDE2000\Redist\Helper.Exe' into MSI file.
Performing Upgrading and Patching Validation
Setup.exe created

The above statement makes me to understand that the *.MSI needs helper.exe to launch our setup.exe

Thanks in Advance..
0 Kudos
ZainaFathima
Level 3

Sorry for the inconvenience..

Please find the snapshot here for the helper.exe error during the installation of setup.exe

thank you..
0 Kudos
Stefan_Krueger
Level 9

Remove the MSDE redistributable from your setup, it's quite outdated. You can use SQL Express if you need to ship a free runtime version of SQL Server with your setup.
Stefan Krueger
InstallSite.org
0 Kudos
ZainaFathima
Level 3

Thank U so much Krüger...:):)
0 Kudos
ZainaFathima
Level 3

Hi ..

I am using Installshield 2012 spring in my Windows 7 64-bit box , where I m trying to register my services through install script.

Install Script:

LaunchAppAndWait(WINSYSDIR64 + "\\ Sample.exe","/Service",WAIT);

While Debugging the above LaunchAppAndWait() statement got executed but the "sample.exe" was not installed as a service.

In Windows XP 32 bit,

LaunchAppAndWait(WINSYSDIR + "\\ Sample.exe","/Service",WAIT);

The above statement is getting executed and the service was installed successfully.

For Windows7-64 bit, i just changed "WINSYSDIR" into "WINSYSDIR64", but its not working .

My "sample.exe" was placed in c:\windows\system32(64bit pc)

Can anyone help me and let me know what i was missing in my 64bit installshield package?????

Thanks in advance...
0 Kudos
ZainaFathima
Level 3

Hi,,

Target PC: windows7-64 bit
Software: Installshield 2012 spring

Can Anyone help me here to register my services through installshield script using LaunchAppand wait() Function.

where ServiceAddService() fucntion is regsitering my service, but i can't able to start the service using ServiceStartService() fucntion..

Thanks in Advance..

regards.
Arun K.
0 Kudos
phill_mn
Level 7

When you call LaunchAppAndWait to register a service you are relying on the service.exe to function and write the registry keys related to the service. That is considered a very old way of doing this and is not recommended in most situations. In an InstallScript setup calling ServiceAddService is the thing to do. You seem to indicated that this succeeds. Then your call to ServiceStartService fails, probably for the same reason that your prior attempt to call LaunchAppAndWait failed (just a guess). If using MSI it would be better to use the ServiceInstall table.

If using InstallScript stick with ServiceAddService and debug to point where ServiceStartService fails. What is the error code?

Don't let the failure rollback (stop on a message box or exit rather than abort while you debug it). Examine your services registry key at:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\\ and look at the ImagePath value.
Is this path valid and does it include any necessary command line switches.
Use dependency walker to validate that it is not a dependency issue. In general you need to get to the point where you can start and stop your service with Computer\Manage\Service Control Manager before you expect ServiceStartService to work.

Generally I would not install anything under the windows system folders on vista or later (or even XP or later). I would instal my service in an application folder under or which ever is appropriate.
0 Kudos