Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vikansh
Level 3

_uninst2 being created on upgrade

Hi,

Would appreciate your help on this.
I have created an installer using ISMP5.0 and when I install it, it creates folders including _uninst in the location specified. I create another installer using ISMP11.5( I converted the ISMP5.0 project to a ISMP11.5 project, so the UID are the same for both the projects). So far good

I run this new installer on top of the earlier one.
Now I notice that _uninst2 is being created in the same location as _uninst
Ideally _uninst should have been overridden with the new uninstaller.

I noticed I do not have this problem, if the installers are of the same project( ie both of ISMP5.0, or both of ISMP11.5)

Please let me know how I could overcome this problem.

Regards,
Vikansh
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Vikansh
Level 3

Additional info is

In the registry I noticed that under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\, we have the product key listed along with UninstallString.
When we do an upgrade( the problem scenario I mentioned below) we get two entries here for JTAPI client. The product keys are different. Ideally we should have had only one product key.( The Add/Remove Programs also have two entries)

When client from ISMP5.0 is installed the product key is c0fc3f03a49768ba606f6a85e3eeee94
When client from ISMP11.5 is installed the product key is c0fc3f03a49768ba606f6a85e3eeee94-782482408

Not sure why we have that extra '-782482408' value is appended to create a new product key.

Any pointers is appreciated.

Regards,
Vikansh..
0 Kudos
DavidRP
Level 3

Yes, we've noticed that as well. Another observation on this is that it appears that the "-782482408" characters are not always the same. We've seen those characters change on later installs. Sorry to say I don't know what those characters are. For now, we're just doing a workaround.
0 Kudos
toogoodju
Level 4

The "-782482408" is the hash code that is appended to the end of the uuid. I think it changes depending on the install location. It's something that was implemented since ISMP10.5 I believe.

You are seeing the second _uninst directory is because when you install a project built with 11.5, it won't know anything about the 5.0 projects you've installed. The reason is because the project built with 11.5 uses a different vpd than the 5.0 project.

One thing you can do is in the migrated 11.5 project, use the legacy uninstaller to uninstall the project that was installed with 5.0
0 Kudos