cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roboac
Level 3

unable to save file: c:\windows\downloaded installations ...

Hi,

this is my first project with installshield pro 2008.
I set the entry "demand of administrator rights" to "no" and made a "singleimage".
After starting the installation without administrator rights the dialog "unable to save file: c:\windows\downloaded installations ..." appears.
I know that I can solve this problem by starting the installation with "right mouseclick". But our customers don´t know this.

Any idea to solve this problem with installshield and not on the computer from the customer?

Many thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
arsirantala
Level 5

I take you run the installation in vista environment?

You must have the "demand of administrator rights" set to yes, otherwise installer will not be able to write to the directory under windows. workaround would to use some other directory which are not under windows directory. I personally have used "demand of administrator rights" as yes, since installer of our software packages contains component(s) which fail if "demand of administrator rights" is no.
0 Kudos
roboac
Level 3

I tried the installation on XP SP2 and Vista Pro with both settings "demand of administrator rights" yes and no.
There is the same problem.
By the way, after the failure-dialog a new dialog appears where I can specify a location to save the installation package.
I can choose a special folder and than the installation starts.
But this is to difficult for our customers.
0 Kudos
arsirantala
Level 5

If you have defined "Required Execution Level" = Administrator under Media/Releases - it should work. The installer should be then able to write to the directory under windows.

You can change the folder where you spool those msi files. the "Cache Path" under setup.exe tab (in Media/Releases) contains this information (as well as the "Required Execution Level").
0 Kudos
roboac
Level 3

Thanks a lot, I think here is the solution.
My project is konverted from an oder express version.
The cache path is: [WindowsFolder]Downloaded Installations
But I can´t choose this from the drop down list.
What do you think is the best choice for this cache path?
0 Kudos
arsirantala
Level 5

We use the default one (one under windows directory).

You should be able to change it, if you've chosen to spool them (the property setting above this definition). Though I never have done import from express.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

[LocalAppDataFolder]Downloaded Installations is now the default value for the cache location in new InstallShield projects. [WindowsFolder]Downloaded Installations was the default value in earlier versions of InstallShield and Express. When you upgrade projects from earlier versions, InstallShield does not change this path. You'd need to manually update it.

I believe that the [LocalAppDataFolder]Downloaded Installations path should work in the scenario that you're describing.

I hope that helps.

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation
0 Kudos