cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Heuckeg
Level 3

single MSI Setup - update failed

I have build a msi setup for our product (the first version).
Now I tried to build a new setup, that will install the new product if it wasn't previously installed, and will update the product if the older version is already installed.

But any time I start the new setup it tells me that an other version of this product is already installed and I have to deinstall this first.

This occurs when I
a) only rebuild setup with new files
b) change package code and rebuild
c) change package code and version number and rebuild

What did I miss?

Thanks,
Gunter
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
mjlarezzo
Level 5

You need to make the 2nd build onwards upgrades if you want to be able to install over a previous build. Otherwise it is treated as a full installation and cannot overwrite an exsisting installation. There are ways around this of course, like having your .msi first look to see if there already is an instance of this program on the PC then if there is, uninstall it then continue with the new installation. It all depends on which methods your company prefers. Either a full installation for every build, a full install that uninstalls, or using the upgrade option.
0 Kudos
Heuckeg
Level 3

Thanks for this fast reply.

But I don't quite catch that:
The documentation tells something about "Small Update", "Minor Upgrade" and "Major Upgrade", when to use or what to change.

How does this fit together?

Gunter
0 Kudos
mjlarezzo
Level 5

I dont want to misinform you about the differences between these options. Have you tried using the KnowledgeBase they provide? You can find access to it under the Help menu. Just search for those words. I am sure they detail them in there.
0 Kudos
Heuckeg
Level 3

Got it!

The things I've done were correct, but a direct call of the msi file won't work.

You need to install an update via call of msiexec by
msiexec [/qn] /fvomus

The order of parameters is important!

Hope, this will help also some others...

Gunter
0 Kudos