cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChristopheOce
Level 7

short cuts stays after remove of product !

Hi,

I have a basic msi project who installs some exe some dll some xml file on a target computer.
All works perfectly but when i want to remove the product the short cut stays on the desktop and on the start menu!

it's all depend on the computer, i've try on a win 2003 short cut aren't present after remove but on a win xp short cut are present !!!

Someone can tell me how i can delete these file or what's happens !!!

Thanks for you idea !
Christophe
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Nicolasb
Level 5

I had this problem once. I my case, I found that the component including the shortcut had the same GUID as another component from another project I built. When both program were installed, the system detected this component as shared and did not remove the shortcut properly. I fixed it by changing my components GUID.

I know that this is a long shot, but maybe you can try changing the GUID ?
0 Kudos
Kelter
Level 10

Alternatively, if your shortcuts belong to a different component (so that you could use a different condition or something) make sure that the condition for that component is satisfied on uninstall as well as install.
0 Kudos
ChristopheOce
Level 7

Hi both,

Nicolasb => i've try to changing the component guid for the shortcut but ONLY on windows xp the short cut is always present and some other file in Program files\my product\ !!!!!

I've doing a custom action for to use fonction deletedir with parameters allcontents for delete all file

if (ExistsDir (szPathInstall) = EXISTS) then

// Delete the root folder
if (DeleteDir ( szPathInstall, ALLCONTENTS) = 0) then
// MessageBox(" All was deleted", INFORMATION );
else
MessageBox("unable to delete file", SEVERE);

but that's doesn't work, everytime on windows xp some file are always present and shortcut too !

Kelter => can you tell me witch condition i must to use for remove the short cut ?!

Thanks for all,
Christophe
0 Kudos
Kelter
Level 10

When originally you said that only the shortcut was left behind, i thought that maybe you had a seperate component for just the shortcut. But since you say there are files left behind also, here's a few more questions:

Do the files left behind belong to the same component as the shortcut, or if they are different components, do those components have conditional terms in common? If there are conditional terms in common, do they relate to the install state or install action?
0 Kudos
ChristopheOce
Level 7

Hi Kelter,

To begin thanks for you time !
Here is it more information !

a) Do the files left behind belong to the same component as the shortcut ?
Yes, but there are also others files who stays on the computer after remove the product. These files are in others component !
You know just at my custom action who delete all files, i place a messageBox and on my computer i have installed UNLOCKER for to see if file are locked by something when i removed the product ! but no files are locket by something !

b) do those components have conditional terms in common?
No no condition are put for all component !

c) do they relate to the install state or install action ?
hm !? i don't understand ! these component are just installed and uninstalled when the user choice this option ! There are no script or anything else for these component !

My package is a basic msi project

You know i can't understand WHY these component are left in some OS as win xp and others OS as vista, win2000 and 2003 component are well removed !

pffffffffffff rather boring as problem 😉
Have a nice day
Christophe
0 Kudos