cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kirants
Level 5

setup.exe throws error when run from root directory

There is a weird error I see with running setup.exe.
If run from a root directory ( say C: ) , an error shows up "This installation may require additional dependencies. Without it's dependencies, [product] may not work correctly. Would you like to find the original [setup].exe?"

I get this error at the stage when it is about to start installation i.e. I have gone past EULA and such.

If I just move the exe into a subfolder , say C:\Test , there is no issue.

Any clues as to what to look for?

It's a Basic MSI project and it has some prerequesites, if that helps.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
kirants
Level 5

Have been able to reproduce this if the following sequence is followed. Hope someone from IS is able to shed some light.

• Create a new Basic MSI installer.
  • Use all defaults and in the last stage select "single executable" option.
  • Copy over any exe to the location of the ISM.
  • Go to Prerequisite Editor. In the files tab that comes up by default, navigate to the location as above and select the exe.
  • Go to "Application to run" tab and select the EXE from the dropdown. Save and close.
  • Go to "Redistributables" view and filter on "InstallShield Prerequisites" and find the just added Prerequisite. Right click on it and choose properties. Select "Extract from setup.exe".
  • Check the same PRQ in the view. In the conditional Installation view below, uncheck "Install before feature selection". The features option will get checked automatically.
  • Go to "Release Wizard". Use all defaults and when prompted for compression in "Release configuration", select "Compress all files".
  • In "Setup Launcher", select "Windows NT family"
  • In "Windows Installer Location", select "Extract from setup.exe" option.
  • In "InstallShield Prerequisites", select "Extract from setup.exe"
  • In "Advanced settings", check "Optimize Size" and leave defaults as is.
  • Build.
  • Run the setup.exe from the location IS uses. See all is well.
  • Copy the same setup.exe to , say , C: and run from there. Note the message in post 1 is displayed.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

This issue is being tracked under IOC-000073907, and it's nothing you're doing wrong. There's a KB with a fix on the way. We expect it up later today and I can link to it then.
0 Kudos
kirants
Level 5

Thanks for the headsup. Will be waiting for the update.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

KB Article Q200271 has been posted with the fix. You can download it from kb.acresso.com.
0 Kudos
kirants
Level 5

Thanks for posting the hotfix. However, I still see the error after applying the hotfix. Analyzing further, I see that the dll in the zip file is identical to the one in the Sp1. It has a timestamp of 6/19/2008 and the version and build numbers are also the same.

Does IS bump up the version/build numbers for hotfixes ?

Another question. Does this hotfix apply for the standalone build as well? Curious, because I don't see this DLL present in the same location for a standalone install.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I'll follow up with the KB, but here's the file that's supposed to be there. Yes, it should have a higher version number and more recent date. 🙂

As for the SAB, there should be the same file in a similar location, although generally the exact folder under [ProgramFilesFolder] differs.
0 Kudos
kirants
Level 5

Yeah. This dll fixes it. However, I do not see the dll with that name in our standalone installation folder. I see the Redist\Language Independent\i386 folder, but no PrqLaunch.dll. Would be good to get a confirmation, please.
0 Kudos
kirants
Level 5

My bad. I was looking at a different version of InstallShield folder.
0 Kudos