cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ray_Portrait
Level 6

Dynamically create multiple instances

Is there a way to run an install so that it always creates a new instance of itself on a machine?

There seems to be a lot of mention to MSINEWINSTANCE and InstanceID properties and embedded instance transforms.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

InstallShield 2009 has the ability to define a (static ) n number of instance transforms, automatically embed them into the MSI and then use a setup.exe to service them. ( See my blog at http://blog.deploymentengineering.com/2008/03/installshield-2009-beta-part-i.html )

But it is a static number of instances. If you define 16 and install 16 times it's done offering new instances. To have more flexibility, you'd have to roll a lot of custom plumbing to dynamically generate the instance transforms at runtime instead of build time and then write your own setup.exe to service them.
0 Kudos
Ray_Portrait
Level 6

Thats what I figured. I saw your post a couple of months ago and found it useful when I first started playing around with 2009.

What is your view on using Basic MSI projects to setup databases? I personally dont like it but dont know a feasable way of doing it differently. an app to run the different scripts would make more sense right?
0 Kudos