Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
duddelar
Level 4

setup.exe not installing when build on 2012 standard r2

Hi All,

I am using installshield 2016 premier edition,
We were building in the windows 7 OS and installing the software on windows 7 os's.
Now our build server moved to windows 2012 standard r2.
with the same ism file we are building the software and trying to install on windows 7.
But it gives very weird error at the time of starting service custom action

Error 1721. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action: StartService, location: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSIDB35.tmp, command: cmd /c sc start "Service Manager"

But in the same machine it installs i.e windows 2012 standard r2.

Can anybody help me in this regard.

On windows 2012 r2 the windows installer version is Windows ® Installer. V 5.0.9600.18333
and on windows 7 os the windows installer version is Windows ® Installer. V 5.0.7601.23593

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ravi.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

I'd eliminate the custom action calling "sc" and replace it with an entry in the ServiceControl table.-
0 Kudos
duddelar
Level 4

Christopher Painter wrote:
I'd eliminate the custom action calling "sc" and replace it with an entry in the ServiceControl table.-

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for the reply.
I have added the service and the event in the services view and its added in the service control table.
When i add the event to start its failing because we have spaces in the service name
So I added the custom action to start with sc.
Can you please suggest me to add in the service control table how to start the service with spaces or if we can add the command sc start

Thanks & Rgds,
Ravi.
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

I suspect you are trying to use the display name of the service rather then the service internal name. Take a look at the service using Services.msc:

http://thewindowsclub.thewindowsclubco.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Start-stop-disable-Windows-Services.png

In the above example you would want "tzautoupdate" not "Auto Time Zone Updater"
0 Kudos
duddelar
Level 4

Christopher Painter wrote:
I suspect you are trying to use the display name of the service rather then the service internal name. Take a look at the service using Services.msc:

http://thewindowsclub.thewindowsclubco.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Start-stop-disable-Windows-Services.png

In the above example you would want "tzautoupdate" not "Auto Time Zone Updater"

Hi Christopher,

In our service the name and the display name is same.
Our architect needs spaces in the service name also.
I coudnt convince him to remove them 😞
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

I looked at HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services and the vast majority but not all have no spaces. I also did a quick test and I was able to install and start a service with a space in it's name using the ServiceInstall and ServiceControl tables.

I'm not sure what your issue is, but, MSI and InstallShield should be able to support it.
0 Kudos