cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MorrowLess
Level 4

rebuilding/rerelease an MSP = bad idea?

I'm using InstallShield 2008 and being asked to rebuild and then release an MSP that has already been released to our customers. The originally released MSP contained an incorrect path within a .config file.

Am I correct in thinking this would be a bad idea?

Thanks 🙂
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

There are at least two main pain spots with that approach, and possibly more I'm not thinking of. First, if you just rebuild the msp similarly to how you built the first, there's no obvious path for customers who installed the first to be able to install the second. Second, just like there's no path from Patch1v1 to Patch1v2, there will be no good path from all three (RTM, 1v1, 1v2) to Patch2, should you ever release a later cumulative patch.

So you should at least examine (and by examine, I mean build a fake patch and test what happens with various patch application orders) releasing v2 as a cumulative patch so the upgrade line looks like RTM -> v1 -> v2 (-> Patch 2), where v2 and a later Patch2 are both cumulative patches that can patch any previous version.
0 Kudos
MorrowLess
Level 4

Thanks for you reply.

My support people already helped our customers with Patch1v1 with a self-extracting zip to drop in the correct config file.

Patch1v2 applies correctly against the RTM. A test Patch2 applies correctly against Patch1v2. I'm not familiar with how to make a cumulative (muli-targeted) patch; is there a guide or article you can direct me to?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I'm sure there are articles around, but I don't have a favorite. The basic step is to add additional previous releases in your patch design view.
0 Kudos