cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GuyWithDogs
Level 4

"Noob" question - how you're supposed to work in InstallShield

I'm guessing that I'm supposed to create a project for my Product, Whizzo, (Whizzo.ism), and then an initial release (1.0).

Then when I have upgrades, I create a new release within that project (say 1.1 and 1.2 as minor upgrades), and when 2.0, create a major upgrade release? But all within the same project? Or am I going to run into problems with Product Codes, etc.

Or is each "release" of Whizzo expected to be done as a separate project in a separate .ism file? If so, what's the point of the releases within a project?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
DemonPiggies
Level 7

Currently I only do 'releases' not upgrades but I use the same project and just update the release numbers. There is no real reason to create a new project for each release. You could create an 'update project' and then a 'release project' but I believe somewhere in the 'settings' there is an option that allows your project to update and/or release.

I think somewhere in the Help file there is a clearer explanation. I'm not saying 'rtfm' just that there might be a more readable answer there. I know there is an option because I once unwisely used it for my project and screwed everything up.

You also use the Overwrite options in the components section...
0 Kudos
chandu_mca06
Level 4

You can maintain the same ism file for different releases. For minor upgrades we need to change the product version from 1.0 to 1.1 and then the installer will automatically treat the new installer as minor upgrade or release.

For major upgrade we need to change the product version from 1.0 to 2.0 and product code as well. Any way package code will change automatically while building the installer everytime.

I guess now you are very clear. If no please let me know your concerns.
0 Kudos
DemonPiggies
Level 7

Are you sure that the InstallShield makes that distinction when you change the version number? I'm pretty sure that that is mostly window dressing used to determine if between the versions being installed.

In InstallScript you can determine if the version you are installing is new, older or the same by checking against the version number of the installed application and the application being installed.

Does the *.msi projects have some function the dynamically determines is the version you are creating is a patch rather than a full install?
0 Kudos