cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
josephine
Level 5

private key password popup

I am using basic MSI project.
The private key for signature is specified in the release configuration.
However, sometimes there is still a "enter private key" dialog popup at the end of the build.

Since we are using command line to build our projects, this is quite annoying as it waits human input. The strange thing is that it happens sometimes, not always.

Please advise. Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
SherylSikora
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

If you use a .pfx file as your signature file you should no longer get these prompts. When you use a .pfx (personal information exchange) file, InstallShield will use signtool.exe to sign your files, which will accept a command-line parameter to pass in the password. This note from our help explains this:

Using a .pfx file is often the preferred method for digitally signing files, since it is more likely to work in many different environments (such as locked build machines). Since the SignTool.exe utility accepts the password as a command-line parameter, it can be automatically provided even in scenarios where Signcode.exe cannot accept the password. Therefore, if you specify the digital signature password in InstallShield, you will never see a password prompt if you are using a .pfx file.
(If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)
0 Kudos
josephine
Level 5

Thanks. Where can I obtain .pfx files?
0 Kudos
SherylSikora
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

You can use Microsoft tools PVK2PFX.exe and pvkimprt.exe to create the .pfx file from your .spc and .pvk files.

See the following help topic to get you started:

http://kb.acresso.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=isxhelp14-DigitalSigningSecurityhtm&sliceId=&docTypeID=DT_MACROVISIONHELPNET_1_1&dialogID=9400726&stateId=0%200%209402311
(If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)
0 Kudos