cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thangap
Level 4

pkgmgr being invoked from 32-bit instead of 64-bit

setup.exe file was created using the Installshield 2010. When this setup.exe for AMD64 is being invoked, the LaunchExe invokes the 32bit pkgmgr instead of 64-bit pkgmgr.

when I had made changes to be SW_SHOWNORMAL, the directory was set to c:\windows\syswow64 instead of c:\windows\system32.

Since its a 64-bit machine, the setup.exe is supposed to launch the executables from c:\windows\system32, but that doesn't happen. The installation folders seems to be correct, they are created under "c:\program files" but not under "c:\program files(x86)".

The installshield project is a basic MSI. The current problem was noticed in windows 2008 R2. This same setup.exe file was successful in windows 2003.

To be precise, invoking pkgmgr.exe inside a custom action in windows 2008 R2 invokes 32-bit pkgmgr.

Please tell me what the problem could be.

Thank you.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Marwan
Level 7

what does your custom action look like? Is it just an exe or vbscript? Also, how about specifying the full path to the exe using [System64Folder]?
0 Kudos
manicfiddler
Level 3

If you are calling pkgmgr yourself from a script custom action do what I've found necessary which is to have 2 copies of the custom action, one marked to use 64bit scripting and the other not. Set conditions based on VersionNT64.

I have this same problem though with ISIISInstall running on a 64bit 2008 system: it calls pkgmgr (maybe through aspnet_regiis) from the syswow folder which therefore throws an error and doesn't install asp.net.
0 Kudos
thangap
Level 4

I tried providing the full path system64folder, still the pkgmgr or dism redirects to the 32-bit dism or pkgmgr.

But now when i gave the path as c:\windows\sysnative\dism.exe solved the issue.

sysnative is supposed to be the virtual directory and can redirect to current running OS bit-level.

I would have to try the other option given by manicfiddler.

Thanks
0 Kudos