cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
t_mckim
Level 3

parcel returned error status 80004004

I've set up a suite which contains a prerequisite for my product, the 32-bit installation, and the 64-bit installation of my product.

When I run the suite, the prerequisite installs silently, no problem. The suite starts the 32-bit install, but the status indicates "setup interrupted" before any of the 32-bit install's UI is even shown. Then the suite aborts with a "setup interrupted" message.

Attached is the suite debug log, which indicates "parcel returned error status 80004004". If I simply double-click the setup.exe for the 32-bit install, the installation runs fine.

Does anyone know why the suite is behaving this way? Thanks in advance for any info.

t_mckim
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

The suspicious things I see are:
Transaction: parcels installing: yes, need elevation: no, any 64-bit: no
EXE parcel resolved command line: /lv "C:\RVInstall.log"
It looks to me like you're telling a non-elevated exe package to log to a location that likely requires elevated privileges.

Does changing the location or setting Require Elevated Privileges to Yes fix the problem?
0 Kudos
t_mckim
Level 3

All the installations included in the suite require admin rights. For each package, I had set "Require Elevated Privileges" to Yes. At the Release level, I had also set "Required Execution Level" to Administrator. Is there anything else which needs to be set?

t_mckim
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Note the following in the debug log:

1-5-2012[01:47:52 PM]: Launch EXE result: 0
1-5-2012[01:47:52 PM]: Final result status for EXE parcel: c0000005

This particular EXE launched successfully (meaning the process was created, result: 0) but exited with status 0xc0000005 (access violation).

Since the target package appears to be an InstallScript MSI project, please try creating a log for this installation. Can you try passing the following on the package command line (remove the existing /lv"..." since this appears to be a custom command line parameter):
/verbose"C:\PathToLog\LogFile.log"

When testing with the above added to the command line, does the specified log file get created? Does the log contain any errors or any indication of an unexpected failure? Can you attach the log if one is created?
0 Kudos
t_mckim
Level 3

I was trying to get log file info from the 32-bit install, and I had used an incorrect command line parameter (/lv). I tried a couple of things and this is what I've gotten:

1.) If I run the 32-bit install from the Command Prompt with /verbose"...\RVInstall.log", the installation runs fine and I get a verbose log file (attached).
2.) If I set the EXE Command Line for the Install operation of the 32-bit package to /verbose"...\RVInstall.log" then run the suite from the Command Prompt with /verbose"...\RVSuite.log", the suite starts the 32-bit install but exits with an Interrupted message. The RVSuite.log file is created (attached), but no RVInstall.log file is created.

So it looks like the 32-bit installation is interrupted before the log file can be created and before any UI can be displayed (?). What does this indicate? What area should I look at now?

Thanks,
t_mckim
0 Kudos