cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BrHartmann
Level 7

override default language via CMDLINE ?

This has been discussed in some older threads but I did not see a solution.

I know I can turn on the Languages dialog in the Releases config, so for instance if a user in Germany with German Windows prefers to install our product in English, they would have the option.

Here's my problem: I have most of the UI up front in a bootstrapper which then launches separate installation packages (for instance, choosing 32 vs. 64-bit). The end user should not have to be bothered to select their desired language multiple times, so I don't want to prompt them at the beginning of every one of these separate package installs.

Is there some way, perhaps via a CMDLINE arg, to manually override the setup language when launching these later install packages?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

See the /L command-line parameter. For your German and English example, you can pass either /L1031 or /L1033 to setup.exe in order to specify the language of the first-time installation.
0 Kudos
luismcasillas
Level 2

Hi MichaelU,
I need a similar approach for an MSI, is this possible? or does this only apply for an exe?
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

The /L parameter only applies to setup.exe (for all main project types, I believe). If you have a raw .msi file without our setup.exe launcher, you can instead specify the transform in directly with TRANSFORMS="1033.mst" or similar.
0 Kudos
BrHartmann
Level 7

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the /L advice - that worked great for Installscript-MSI.

Your last post reminded me of another issue I encountered with a multi-language basic-MSI project. I think this behavior changed from IS 2010 to 2011. I was not able to have Installshield automatically embed the language transform files for a basic MSI build in IS 2011 when more than just English was enabled under UI languages. Is there something I missed in the InstallShield Options perhaps? Ultimately, I found a workaround that involved downloading a collection of Windows Installer utility scripts and creating a batch file to call the WiSubStg.vbs script for each individual transform file (and set a post-build action to run the batch). However, this seems like something IS should be handling for me (and I'm fairly certain it DID do this a year ago when I built a similar project in IS 2010).
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I don't believe we've ever offered a build option that embeds the language transforms into the .msi file. Instance transforms may be embedded, but not language ones.
0 Kudos