cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zestym
Level 3

newcomer questions: prereq conditions determining type of install?

Hi all.
I need to create an MSI project that checks if certain things are installed on the destination system. If they are, install A happens (without prompting the user), and if they are not, install B happens (again, without prompting).
Is there a tutorial somewhere that will show me this?
I went through the evaluation guide and the example there helped me to get started, but it wasn't enough for what I need atm.

Also, is it possible for the package to create a windows scheduled task, upon installation completion?

Any help would be appreciated!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Gvarma
Level 7

zestym wrote:
Hi all.
I need to create an MSI project that checks if certain things are installed on the destination system. If they are, install A happens (without prompting the user), and if they are not, install B happens (again, without prompting).
Is there a tutorial somewhere that will show me this?
I went through the evaluation guide and the example there helped me to get started, but it wasn't enough for what I need atm.

Also, is it possible for the package to create a windows scheduled task, upon installation completion?

Any help would be appreciated!

You could create conditionals Features (Installscript only project) and use PROPERTY to set the flag based on what you find on destination computer. This way of PROPERTY is set to something then ONLY features satisfying specific conditions will be installed.

HTH
0 Kudos
KathyMorey
Level 10

Have you taken a look at the help for AppSearch action (System Search view) and for conditionally installing features?

In a Basic MSI, you can use AppSearch to set properties if certain things are installed, then condition your features on the presence or absense of those properties.
0 Kudos
zestym
Level 3

Thank you for the replies.
I've managed to get closer to my desired goal 🙂

I used the System Search to include 2 searches. The first looks for an .exe file and gets the folder path, the second looks for another .exe file in that same folder path.
How would I install a feature into that folder path ONLY IF BOTH of the .exe files are there? Right now, I have it going to that directory if both are there, and to the directory if the first one is there... and a default if neither are there. However, what I'd like is for nothing to be installed (from the feature) unless BOTH .exe files are in the SAME directory.

I tried doing 2 seperate searches for the two .exe files, storing the folderpaths into ROOT1 and ROOT2 and then using ROOT1=ROOT2 as an install condition, but that didn't work.
0 Kudos
zestym
Level 3

Ok this is slightly more complicated.
I have my install working as desired, except for one more part.
For this feature, I'd like to do the following:
IF a certain file is found:
- stop a service (in other features, i did this through custom actions running batch files)
- rename the file
- install my feature
- start the service
IF a certain file is not found:
- do normal install procedure

The problem is, that file I am looking for may have come from my install, or might have been put there by a user. Either way, I should do the same thing.
Can anyone help?
0 Kudos